Sunday, November 04, 2007

Ode To A Marriage

“Do you want me to tell you something really subversive? Love is everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical about it. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more.”

Seven years. It sounds like a really long time. I guess it could be if I wasn't so completely happy and content with the state of our union. When Tarzan and I got engaged there were a lot of skeptics. A LOT. But here we are, seven years into forever and nearly all have recanted their opinion. Maybe because they learned what I knew at the very beginning: Tarzan is awesome! In school we learned that we are never 100% ourselves unless we are alone. No matter who or how well we know a person we are acting at least a little for them. I would dispute that. I am 100% myself when I am with Tarzan. From the very beginning I have felt completely comfortable with him. So much so, I didn't realize we were dating for a little while. It felt so...natural. I have never had to pretend with him. He accepts me as I am, loves me no matter what I do, and supports me whatever I decide. He is the hottest thing ever and I love him so much it’s hard to express the thought. Just saying love is not enough. The word is too small. It’s the feeling of security, of warmth, of well being, of humor, of being looked after…but also looking after. It’s glorious. He is the man for me.
Not to say we didn't or don’t disagree ever. We've had some excellent fights - we once went three days without speaking. But when we kiss and make up it’s over and forgotten. And we always want to kiss and make up. Looks like there’s something to this eternal marriage business. To know that he wants to be with me forever makes it easier to work through the troubles and get to the good stuff again.
Each of us has our foibles, and separately we're kind of annoying and we don't make a good first impression. Frankly, there's not a great deal to recommend us. But together...together we are great. Ours is a common goal and we each bring characteristics to the marriage allow us to achieve that goal. I am really big on order and practicality. Tarzan is the laid back, funny one. He’s the one who actually likes to work to support the family. I like the cooking, cleaning, gardening kind of stuff. We balance. We really are partners. Each of us gives 100% of ourselves and gets back so much more. Definitely one of those greater than the sum of it's parts things.
I don’t tell Tarzan how glad I am to be his and how blessed I am to have him for my very own as often as he deserves to hear it. This probably sounds all pithy and corny but today is the seventh anniversary of our wedding. Seven years ago today I promised to love, honor and obey him forever. Cherish him. And I do.


This is me, saying HAPPY SEVENTH ANNIVERSARY TARZAN!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It just goes to prove that some people understand the depth of a promise and are able to find ways to cope and bring out the best in the other. The answers aren't always supposed to be in a reference guide.

Anyway, congratulations to both of you. I look forward to 7, 17 and 70 more years of your marriage. Assuming I am around long enough to at least roll into your 70th anniversary party.

Rocketgirl said...

oooooooooooh SNAP!!! Dang it, Google just deleted my comment (it was kind of my fault, but STILL!) Anyway, it was fantastic to wake up to this entry this morning. Tarzan loves you in a devoted way that I've only seen in my own father, and it makes me super happy because it makes him so dang happy! And thanks to you for not shooting him down (for the second time) and being in our family for 7 years!! We loves you!

From Whence You Cometh