Tuesday, November 27, 2007

All Thumbs

Today has not been a good day for my left thumb. I think I have narrowed it down to one of two likely afflictions. I either have carpal tunnel OR I strained the tendon that bends that thumb. (Those are different right?) Carpal tunnel because it hurts most when I am at work and constantly thumping the space bar with that thumb. Also it felt a lot better over the weekend when I wasn't. Thumping that is. A strained tendon because it feels like I need to pop it or something, like when you lift a bag of groceries and your elbow doesn't bend correctly and it twinges funny for a moment...That happens to other people too yes? But my thumb is not really getting better. Some days it feels mostly fine; only hurting if I lift something heavy and other days, like today, it hurts no matter what position it's in. Today I can't pick up a pencil because it hurts so much. And it twinges at odd moments with no reason, like when answering the phone, with my RIGHT HAND?! Weird and also annoying and a little worrying.
I really should go see the doctor and have it massaged, acupunctured, put in a cast or cut off - whichever is going to require the least effort. Plans for world domination? SO behind schedule people!!
One of my friends says we should call it Jane's Thumb. And there will be research grants and charity drives and all sorts of things to help others with the same disability. He's cute.
What it really means is that I should stop working and really let it rest...oh wait, I am! In about a month +/-. Sweet!

This is me, hurting thumb and all.

No comments:

From Whence You Cometh