Thursday, November 27, 2008

GivingThanks 2008

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
I don't know about you, but I am exhausted. Thankfully - heh - we traveled last night - to where I can not divulge at this moment, but I will soon - because once we woke this morning the fun never ceased. Also thankfully, I did not have to pull out the raw, goopy insides of a turkey, stuff it and then hope I didn't give everyone salmonella poisoning. One of the co-planners decided to spare me the ordeal and brought a smoked turkey. It was not bad. Heck, it was glorious! If it isn't obvious yet, I have never made an entire thanksgiving dinner by myself before. And today I did. (That's not fair to say, I did have help. But the directing of it was all me, and as one of the guests said, I kept waiting for the grown-ups to come and take over.) Perhaps it was the new environment but it took forever to get the pies going. And then people started showing up and they were hungry and getting all the dishes ready at once is not one of my talents. But. It got done. We ate. And no one is sick. I consider that an excellent meal.
Despite my whining, it really was a wonderful day. I feel stressed in the middle but coming out the other side I feel good. And I am thankful. Here are my three kernals - not necessarily the same ones I shared at the table:
  • Tarzan - that one is the same - he really is the greatest thing in my life. So good to me, so accepting of me, a good example to the neighborhood, a good teacher at his school. He's awesome.
  • Family. So thankful for the family that birthed and raised me, that loves me unconditionally, and also for the family that accepted me and my ideals and attitudes when I married their son and brother.
  • For the assurance I have that this life is not all that there is. Don't ask me to explain how I know, but be sure, I DO know. This life is a part of the journey, but it's not the whole thing. I am SO, SO thankful to know that there is more for me to see and do once I have finished this portion.
This is me, full, tired and thankful.

2 comments:

Floyd said...

Oooh, you made dinner?? I SO wish i could have been there! I'll bet you are the best cook EVER. And I'm pretty sure I'm thankful for you too.

Floyd said...

That was Rocketgirl, NOT Floyd. He's plassed out on the floor and I've got his lapytopy.

From Whence You Cometh