Sunday, November 23, 2008

Easy Listening

Does anyone else find that commenting on other people's blogs leads you to ideas for your own posts? That has frequently been the case this month, what with NaBloPoMo and all. But I do try not to post the same subject over here right away; I like to give it a few days so the plagiarism isn't as obvious. Aren't I the considerate one?
So, I think I have a mental block in the music department. Maybe because I don't have any musical talent - and it's sweet of you to protest in the comments, but this is not a fishing for compliments thing, I really do not have any - instrumental or vocal, but I am reticent to broaden my scope of listening music. It really takes a significant event for me to admit I like an artist I am not already very familiar with. Circular logic I know.
Perhaps my phobia developed when I was young; my parents listened to music of their youth and we didn't use the radio except for news and this was barely the advent of MTV (shocking, there was a time before MTV?!) so I grew up listening to Neil Diamond (say what you will, that man is a genius AND the highest paid living composer), Elvis Presley (can't go wrong with the King), The Beatles and The Irish Rovers (that was The Frozen North influence but they definitely added to my desire to be Irish). So I missed the 80's music when it was hot the first time and came to love Def Leppard, ABBA and Chicago when I went to college in the late 90's. I was late on the Yanni, Barenaked Ladies and Josh Groban bandwagons too. I suppose in an odd sort of way I am just delayed in the audio development, and it makes sense that I should like Dashboard Confessional and Polyphonic Spree now, yes?

This is me, with my eclectic music choices.

1 comment:

Rocketgirl said...

Your tastes are gitin' good, glad I could help. I like snacking on muic, because so many people have written one AWESOME song, and then from then on it's crap. Like Smashing Pumpkins - 3 good songs and hen a crapload of songs that sound the exact same.

Although the Barenake Ladies continue to be AWESOME. You know, 2 degrees in music and I'm pretty sure I have no idea what's good either. I just pretend that I do:)

From Whence You Cometh