Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Who Thought This Would Ever End?

Not me.
But hey! This week hosted the finals for Dancing With The Stars. While this season seemed to go on and on (and on and on) it really was the usual ten weeks. So. Many. Celebrities. They should go back to ten. Ten was a good number of famous personalities to deal with. I get that they are trying new things and that's okay - mixing it up with the new dances this season, for example, was good - but trying to cram more people in there is not as good an idea as it sounds like it would be.
In this final competition night I did like seeing the dances that the celebrities thought were their best ones. Mostly because of the amusing moments I had forgotten. For example:
  • Brooke's paso doble was danced to the De Beers diamond commerical music.
  • Lance and Lacey both had wild purple hair for their tango.
  • Warren's pleather Matrix outfit

Of course the kids were adorable. The jive, the dress, the faces, the minature nature of them, all adorable. The trash talking video was highly entertaining since you can tell they want to bust out laughing saying such things. I sure do and I just have to listen. And all I can figure is people have commented - A LOT - about how it's hard to compare different dances because of character (these are not dancing people after all) so why don't they have the contestants dance the same dance; because that is just what they did. And it wasn't bad. Of course this is the finals and they are the best of the crop. But it was a fun dance - yay Harold Wheeler and the studio band! - and all the couples kept to their own style but didn't sacrifice the dance either. Not bad.
Then it was on to the freestyle round which has been getting more hip-hoppy in recent seasons. My favorite is still Cheryl and Drew of Season 2. My comments on this, season 7 freestyle round:

  • I like that Broooke and Derek did an actual ballroom dance. There were a lot of lifts, some looked hard and awkward. BUT. It was fun, it was cute, it had a lot of content and it was actual dancing so if she wins, it won't be without merit.
  • Um. Well. Lance and Lacey did NOT choose to do anything based on ballroom dancing. I don't think those three bars of cha-cha timing count. It was amusing and well done and it was probably the best one I have seen. But it wasn't showing anything that he learned this season.
  • The stripping in the middle of the dance sure was popular this time around. Kym and Warren definitely have the crowd factor. Everyone knew the song, the tribute to Ike and Tina was there, it was good. Kym's costume sure was shedding little silver pieces everywhere and I was a little scared Warren was gonna drop her, some of the lifts looked a little shaky.

And the last episode - until the spring season starts at least - went down like this:

  • Ted McGinley was better than I remembered him being.
  • I forgot that Mark Ballas likes to sing when he dances. So funny.
  • It's kind of a shame that Misty-May didn't get to keep going, and not just because Maksim is so hot. I liked her more than I thought I would.
  • Carrie-Ann sure loves to touch the male celebrities.
  • EVERY one danced better than they did when they were really trying.
  • The emotional moments were a little much. Yeah, yeah, three months together, but come on people.
  • Warren's hustle was great, Lance's jitterbug was fun, but Brooke's waltz (it was NOT a Viennese Waltz, don't even get me started) was gorgeous. It really was the essence of what the show ought to be. Pretty and soft and...ballroom.
  • Given the last few weeks I had not expected Lance to place third.
  • No big surprise there, Brooke really has been the most consistant and the best dancer of the show.

This is me, done with Season Seven.

1 comment:

Rocketgirl said...

When are YOU judging the competition? I mean, you are way less creepy than their judges, but there's WAY more substance! Hope you had a good day *wink wink*

From Whence You Cometh