Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Saturday

As I was saying, this weekend was a variable of emotions. Tarzan and I were back in each other's good graces so that was all kinds of happy.
The USC Trojans lost - yes LOST - to Stanford - yes STANFORD - the loser-est team in Division I football. Except for Notre Dame perhaps, and the Fighting Irish beat UCLA on Saturday! What is that all about? This fall has been a conglomeration of major losses and upsets in college football. Really, I think we should just count the year as a learning experience, not play any Bowl games and just start over next fall. It was sad, really sad to watch the game. Not as many penalties as last week, but interceptions, dropped passes, lack of conversion on 3rd down, all kinds of ugly. And there was a large drop in the rankings because of it. #1 to #10 overnight. Now. While this is all kinds of disappointing (do you like my new phrase? it amuses me), if we HAD to lose we should have picked a team that has a chance at the National Championship - like Cal - though frankly it irks me to no end that I have to support the Golden Bears for the title now - not the Farm of all things, I am not one of those nay-sayers calling for Pete Carroll's resignation. The man lost one game people. Really. Cope. If you're gonna wager that much money you have to have it to lose. Jeepers.
An interesting thing happened to me while at the grocery store on Saturday. The cashier discovered one of the bags of chips was open as she was ringing me up and asked if I wanted to get another one. Well duh, of course I do. Did she want me to run over now or wait until I've paid? Oh you can wait until after and just pick it up on the way out. I actually thought in my head as she said that "THAT won't look like I'm shoplifting will it?" But in my naivete I believed her so I paid for all the groceries, walked with my cart full of BAGGED groceries down the junk food aisle, made my selection and proceeded toward the exit. Yeah, that went a long way. I've written of my love for Albertson's and this experience just enhances it. No screaming alarms or buzzers, no "patron with pilfered items leaving the store!!" announcements, no. Just a quiet little "excuse me ma'am" from an authoritative but not aggressive security guard. He was very nice and totally understanding when I explained what had happened and when he checked my receipt. It was well handled, and though I felt stupid for not bringing the possibility up to the cashier, the guard did not make me feel like a dork head. So I continue to love Albertson's and will check my purchases more intently in the future...

This is me, not-a-fugitive.

No comments:

From Whence You Cometh