Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Ode To A Block

This is harder to compose than I thought it would be - not because I don't have anything to say - but because I don't want to be labeled as 'just another' obsessive fan. I AM a fan of course, and probably obsessive to boot, but I don't want to appear as such when I say:
It's kinda weird to feel a familiarity with a person I've never met and only seen live once (at a performance no less). Weird in that I know quite a bit about her (insert obsessive part here) while she wouldn't know me from Eve. (Well, I don't wear fig leaves, but you get the point...) And yet I have come to admire her a great deal. Since it is unlikely that I will ever get to meet Stephanie - and therefore not get to embarrass myself by spouting incoherent nonsense and sounding exactly like the previously mentioned obsessive fan - I want to post the things I would tell her (at my imaginary lunch with Stephanie J. Block) in a setting where I can think about my words before I utter them...and then self edit. I would refrain from asking the stereotypical questions about how she got started in acting and which role she prefers and how the wedding plans are going because all those answers can be found by Google-ing her. No, I would tell her that she seems to have a particular empathy for every role she plays. I believe her more than another actor(ess) in the same role. She isn't just playing a part, or even portraying a person really well. She IS Elphaba, she IS Grainne Ni Mhaille, she IS Liza and I love that. I've written tons about her and I really can't say enough how much I like her as a performer and as a person. I admit that I have only seen clips of interviews or comcast videos where she surely knows people are watching, but I love that she never says anything bad about another person, professional or not. Despite having reasons and opportunities aplenty where one might dig at a colleague or a producer/director or especially the media (gah, those guys give ME the willys) she is always diplomatic and light-hearted. She's so positive and supportive of others. And she's funny. She's so sweet to the audiences and fans. (Who has an entire fan club named for them? Yes, I am a BLOCKHEAD.) Some performers would get a swelled head about the fame and attention but Stephanie is always willing to meet a fan, take a picture, accept a present. (I'm sure she has tons of 'swag') She's not fake-ly modest - she knows what she can do (and she does it WELL) but she hasn't developed an attitude about it. She appears to be really...happy. Again, I don't want to be a gushing fan who just drools on her shoes. I wanted to say something perfect and appropriate for Stephanie's birthday. Stephanie, thank you. You are a gorgeous mix of poise and confidence, modesty and humor, beauty and a whole freaking lot of talent! Much joy!

This is me, wishing Stephanie J. Block a very happy birthday.

No comments:

From Whence You Cometh