Friday, September 28, 2007

Abracadabra

OMG, it was so cool! I haven't been there in probably ten years. (There was a time, not too long ago when ten years was past my point of recognizance but not so any more. I was in college more than ten years ago...not too many more true, but still. Enough reminiscing.) I was a freshman in college when last I visited The Magic Castle in The Northern Jungle. I was young and stupid and broke and dating a guy who wanted to become a member. I was agog at the concept of entering the neighborhood let alone The. Magic. Castle. So I don't remember a lot about the place other than the Peller Theater and the Inner Circle Ballroom. That's where the auditions are (were) held. Last night Tarzan and I were invited by one of the teachers at his school - did I mention that it's invitation by a member only? - to go and watch his act. The teacher not Tarzan obvi. Jheff is really good. I mean, one doesn't get accepted to The Magic Castle unless one IS good but still. I hadn't really processed it completely. And he really is a teacher by day, magician by night. So we saw his act - in the Parlour of Prestidigitation - first, to make sure that we did. He does mind reading type things. Really slick. Even knowing it IS a trick, you believe it a little bit, because it is so well delivered. That was way awesome. Then we ate dinner in the restaurant, which I hadn't even known was there. It was really good. Do you know they sell a prime rib that's 56 ozs?! That is 4-1/2 pounds of meat. I couldn't finish the 10 oz-er. There is a plaque at the entrance for those that eat the entire thing by themselves. Yeah. The ambiance is way eclectic but it works. It was kinda cool to sit and hear magicians discussing techniques and tricks. It was equally amusing to listen to those who thought they were magicians 'explaining' the experience to those with them. After dinner we had tickets to see The Palace of Mystery Show which is featuring Mark Haslam, David Avadon and Mark Bennick this week. They were all fabulous. The sleight of hand was amazing, the pocket picking was highly amusing and the illusions are always cool. But the one trick that floors me every single time is the newspaper. He rips the paper in two, folds it and rips it again, folds and rips, folds and rips and then unfolds and it's whole. I know deep down it's a folding thing, but I saw him rip the paper! I did, I did, I did. He ripped it and showed us the pieces and yet it's whole at the end. Every. Single. Time. We didn't get home until midnight and I so do not feel like working today but it was worth it. So amazingly cool.

This is me, way impressed.

3 comments:

Rocketgirl said...

You know, every now and then, I drive around this southern town and think allsmugly about how poor Jane doesn't get to experience the fabulousness that is Atlanta. And then you post stuff like this. You lucky devil.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

From Whence You Cometh