Monday, July 09, 2007

Blase?

Is it true? Am I so familiar with going that I have forgotten to be excited? Do I prepare myself with an almost casual, been-there, done-that kind of attitude? Am I blase about theater excursions? OF COURSE NOT! Duh. People, I am going to see WICKED - yes, again. (This will be my seventh performance for anyone keeping score.) Tomorrow night to be exact. With three of my sisters. I love having sisters old enough to do stuff. They were cute when we were little and all but now that they can actually talk and everything - way more fun. They're in town for a few days and I am totally taking tomorrow off so we can shop and eat and go see Wicked. Yay! We have all seen it before; last fall when the national touring company was making it's second run through The Jungle. (Shortly after I was devastated by finding out Stephanie J. Block had not renewed her contract and had moved on to The Pirate Queen. Yes, I am still a little bitter thankyouverymuch.) We all trouped down south for the show and it was not bad. Having been spoiled by the likes of Stephanie, Idina Menzel and Eden Espinoza I wasn't too impressed BUT anyone who can belt out that level of musicality for that long really does deserve praise. (Goodness knows, I have enough trouble with hymns on Sunday.) Really, I have said so much about the show already, and there are dozens of websites, and chat rooms (I joined one of like 500 on Facebook) but IT. IS. SO. GOOD. It really is. There are so many layers to the story. Political, social, romantic, philosophical. Every time I go to see it I hear or see something I hadn't before. And the music...well, don't get me started. (I read the book, and while it's a good book and well written, the genius who saw a Broadway musical in that - wow!) The songs are catchy, they mix well with the story, extremely well written (they rhyme dialysis. I mean; this is genius folks), it's not dumb or implausible, and it's fun. So yes, I am probably obsessed but if it's for something so well done as this show, I'm good with it.

This is me out for a day of sisterly bonding.

No comments:

From Whence You Cometh