Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Dentist Or Flying?

Gut reaction? I'd pick flying, considering the year I've had with the dentist! But I don't think that's what this week is about specifically. Or maybe it is...
Onesome: The Dentist?-- ...a bigger 'scary factor' than than flying? What do you think?
  • Dunno if I would call either one "scary" per se. The dentist holds more apprehension for me because I have been in a lot more pain in connection with that establishment. (fillings, crowns and that root canal last February) I think I've been really lucky flying-wise. No real horror stories. Couple of turbulent flights but nothing requiring a barf bag. Some cute stories. Like the guy who wanted to hold my hand when we took off because he'd never flown before. I evilly teased my boyfriend at the time with that story, neglecting to tell him the "guy" was six years old and his parents were a sitting a few rows back. (Bad Jane, bad girl.)
Twosome: or-- maybe you have coping skills to handle dental visits? Would you care to share any of them?
  • Coping skills? I try to think of other things. Our dentist, the Gentle Dental Center, has these lights and so you can pretend you are somewhere else. Especially when you (I) get all drugged up real good. They have issues with my mouth size and tongue strength which is a little unnerving. No pain, but a lot of stretching and pulling. And chiding. No memory of it though - when I went back to get the latest crown ground down a little more the dentist said he didn't remember the small mouth discussion, he remembered telling me about his dad who is a structural engineer and getting advice from me (!) on how to advertise better. Who knew I was so talented while high on Novocaine?
Threesome: Flying-- has received a really bad rap this year. Deserved? ...or is all sweetness and light now?
  • As with all things, I'm sure some of it is deserved and some of it is hype that's been blown out of proportion by the media and our freakishly litigious society. I'm thankful I don't have to fly more often. The security is amusing. Has anyone tried the "puff" machines? Quite entertaining. Not sure how accurate it is but it breaks up the monotony of waiting in line. The not letting people board the plane while half naked is pleasing to those of us who don't like to see other people's bits, but is it within the airline's rights? I wish people were more polite and less selfish. Then we wouldn't have issues like this at all, but if wishes were horses... Tough call.
This is me, with the weekly meme. Love this group!

1 comment:

Rocketgirl said...

Hrm, it has been a weird year with flying. One chick that I saw who was refused entrance to a plane had an outfit on that she'd worn on a previous flight and had even been complimented on it by a flight attendant. I don't think people should be subject to the whims of whomever is a FL or working the gate. I mean, all these women hae been thrown off because their child is crying?? Or the woman nursing her 22 month old?? How is that a danger to the plane?? They are getting big heads. I once had my violin taken out of a overhead bin that was closed - and there was plenty of room everywhere on the plane - why?? I have no idea. I was crying and screaming at the flight attendants, I have no idea how I wasn't taken off the flight. Probably because I had done NOTHING WRONG!! Okay, you've made me have flying more than the dentist, thanks for the talk!;)

From Whence You Cometh