Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Commercial

This should have been Fleighund's 30th birthday post, but something has come up that is MUCH more urgent. People, you NEED to see The Pirate Queen! Firstly, from all I can glean from the castcom pages, and the interviews and synopsises..es..es...whatever, it's a REALLY good show. Historical, but not dry, dramatic, fun, romantic - everything musical theater should be. Naturally, the music is fabulous - who doesn't love Irish dancing? (heellooo, it's produced by the same people who did Riverdance people, Riv-er-dance. And the composers, Boublil and Schoenberg, ALSO wrote Les Miserables which was my favorite stage production until Wicked - sorry Javert) Thirdly (that was actually two reasons there) it stars Stephanie J. Block who if you haven't been following my blog (shame, shame on you) is fabulous!! She's amazingly talented, with a beautiful voice and she's a really nice person in real life too. She's getting a caricature at Sardi's on Thursday. Next, I love theater AND movies but the homes of each are divided by this entire country and since I can't live in two places I had to choose a coast. It was a tough decision, but see, I have this aversion to snow, so I live in The Jungle. This means I have to wait for national tours if I want to see fantastic live productions like The Pirate Queen. There will be a national tour only if enough people see it on the Snowy Coast and/or buy the soundtrack which is being released July 3rd! JULY 3RD! Buy the soundtrack peoples! That's three weeks from today! Buy Buy Buy! I am totally there.
In fact I almost WAS there! Which brings me to the real point and MOST IMPORTANT REASON why you should go and see The Pirate Queen. Tarzan - the sweetest man EVER - was going to surprise me with a plane ticket to fly to New York to see the show (OMG!! how marvelous is he?! I know!) and he read that it's closing in 6 days because it's not getting good reviews - which I don't see as possible based on all the reasons listed above. Stephanie a-LONE should give it rave reviews and she's not the only spectacular performer in the cast. I mean Hadley Fraser? So hot. And the boy can SING. Marcus Chait - also awesome. Unbelievable. So go! Go! GO! Go see The Pirate Queen so that I can too!!

This is me exhorting you to see The Pirate Queen!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's true that they're closing it. i live in NYC and i wish i would have seen it! just saw les mis for the first time. anyway, don't know if you remember me from the USC ward... i saw you on Juliann's blog and check out yours from time to time.

Jane said...

Check you out!! So good to hear from you Alissa - of course I remember! How awesome that you're in NYC! If it didn't snow I would totally live there. How'd you end up there?

Anonymous said...

oh, I came here for grad school and just stayed! maybe with all of the global warming, in a few years you could live here! the winters just keep getting milder! anyway, i love your blog. it cracks me up!

Jane said...

[la-la-la-la] my computer is retarded [la-la-la]
Good to know I am entertaining SOMEone out there Alissa!! Send me an email so we can catch up - BTW: SEE WICKED in NYC as soon as you can. I don't think it's going anywhere but before they change the cast again...David Garrison is the best Wizard I have seen and Stephanie J. Block's finace Sebastian plays Fiyero - he's way cute.

Jane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

From Whence You Cometh