Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Stitches Are Out

(Warning: there might be TMI in this post for those who don't like discussing my wounds.)
I went to the doctor today to get the stitches in my thumb removed. It was not a difficult procedure, just odd. Shortly after the surgery Dr. Z said to come back in "about two weeks" for the stitches to come out. Two weeks from the surgery was Thanksgiving. His next available appointment was today. That's not the odd part.
Over the weekend I noticed the stitches were starting to be covered up by skin and they were itching kind of a lot. I don't know if you can see in this picture:
Dr. Z is a mellow, relaxed kind of doctor - I like that about him - but he was a little concerned about the amount of time that had passed because the stitches could get embedded in the skin and need to be cut out. As it was, he had to snip some of the dry, old, dead skin around the stitches to grasp them and clip the threads. I think my thumb looks much better even so:
It's a little tender - my thumb has been wrapped up for over a month, first in the brace, then the bandage, then band-aids - I have exercises to do to increase the mobility and range of motion and I have to go back again in a month just because he likes to see me. Not really; it's to check one more time that the trigger has not come back and I do not have pain or anything. Dr. Z is thorough too.
I'm hoping this is the end of the thumb drama.

This is me stretching my thumb muscles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I had 3rd degree burns engulfing my Rt thumb/back-of-hand,
I stretched & screamed during the long healing process so I could avoid even longer physical therapy sessions afterward. It worked.

That looks like good stitchery you got there. Good luck healing in the final stretch (no pun intended) :]

From Whence You Cometh