Friday, January 22, 2010

In The Spirit

Tarzan and I really love The Melting Pot as you maybe could tell seeing as I mentioned it here, here and here. But as I also think I mentioned, it gets to be a little pricey so we go only once or twice a year. This does not prevent us from wanting fondue more often than that however and despite our best efforts I haven't made one at home that I like enough to try a second time.
Today that changed. I made a fondue that didn't clump up and, with a minor adjustment to the Worcestershire sauce, I would totally make again. And because Tarzan's love and adoration is apparently not enough, I submit it for your approval as well. In the lovely fondue pot that Tarzan bought for me I tossed in:
3 cloves minced garlic and let it toast itself for 10-15 seconds (our fondue pot is non-stick but if yours is not or you're using a pot on the stove throw in a tablespoon of butter before the garlic.) Then add
1/2 cup chicken stock (the recipe I stole parts of this from asked for white wine, but I don't have any and in most cases you can get away with the substitution. Other recipes asked for beer but I wonder about that...) Then add half of
6-8 oz. Fontina cheese, grated (available in the specialty cheese section - near the deli - of most grocery stores) AND
6-8 oz. Gouda cheese, grated (again, the original asked for Butterkase but suggested Gouda as an alternative which seemed to work) and tossed with
1/3 cup of flour
Mix until the cheese is all gooey, then add
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce (I only added one and I think it needs a tiny bit more)
1 teaspoon of mustard powder
3-4 green onions chopped
Mix that all around and then add enough of the remaining cheese to make a thick concoction. Apparently it's supposed to have the consistency of honey not concrete when done. I needed to add a bit more chicken stock as Tarzan urged me to put in ALL the cheese but it didn't seem to affect the mixing.
Then we dipped in bread cubes, steamed broccoli spears, apples and mushrooms.

This is me and sometimes I surprise myself.

2 comments:

RHM said...

considering your last post was about chopping, I'm glad this turned out well for you.

Rocketgirl said...

Totally awesome!!!!

From Whence You Cometh