Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Grocery Day

I was standing in a very long line at the grocery store today because today is the first day of the sales week and in a normal place the yellow signs would move and people would shrug and say "oh, look at that," but in The Jungle if one does not get to the grocery store on the first day of the sale...the store WILL RUN OUT OF FOOD. Or so the peeps in my neighborhood think because there were hundreds of people in the store today buying things that WEREN'T EVEN ON SALE.
So I was standing in this infinite line to buy the three things that I needed not really noticing the insanity of those around me, until one of the kids of the lady behind me hauls off and kicks me in the back of the leg. I turn around and the lady is chewing her kid out, I mean up and down and right and left - in a language I don't speak so maybe they were just passing the time, I don't know - but not once do either one of them talk to me. They barely even LOOK at me. No apology, no shrug, no mime about how the kid worships the devil and will be exorcised when they get home.
Nothing. No-thing.
Now this kid is probably only six, and a girl - go ahead, smite me for my sexism, do it, I dare you - so the chances are small I will have a bruise, but still, it hurt. And it's just not polite to ignore the person your kid kicked in public. I'm not the violent type, nor am I the dramatic-scene-in-a-grocery-store type but what if I was? The police might have been called. I might have beat up the lady AND the kid. Bad publicity for the store. Lots of things could have gone way worse. Is it too much to expect an apology?

This is me, accosted by a six-year old.

No comments:

From Whence You Cometh