Friday, February 15, 2008

Aftermath

It was kind of hard to leave the office last Friday. Conflicted emotions. A little guilt, a little sad, and a little happy, some anticipation and some apprehension. I've never quit from a place I liked before - stop laughing, it really wasn't that bad an office relatively speaking - and when the boss got all teary as I was hugging him good-bye I almost *almost* reconsidered. It was such a nice farewell.
First there was the lunch, at The Cheesecake Factory, which was awesome. Then came a card with thoughtful notes from everyone - EVERYONE! - and a gift card, a check for all my unused vacation and overtime hours, and the compliments and the regret. Why wasn't everyone so nice when I worked there?! All the reasons why they were going to miss me and why I should stay another week...And the boss cried as I was leaving!! Nothing will make you feel guilty quite like that image as you walk across the street holding the last few items from your desk.
And they haven't called me once - though they threatened too - so I wonder; did I file everything SO WELL that they don't have any questions? Or are they not calling on principle? Am I really not so essential? I kinda think it's the last one there. I am not SO conceited as to think they could never replace me but all the comments on Friday suggested that they might miss me a teeny bit. Perhaps that's not so and it was all lip service? I've even contemplated dropping by in a few weeks maybe to see what's going on...does that mean I'm regressing?
There's not a chance I would consider working there again though. Not after this week; do you KNOW how much I got done in one day? Laundry, ironing - when do I ever iron I ask you? - made cinnamon rolls, went to the dry cleaners, the bank, cleaned the kitchen and reloaded all my links and programs from the office computer to here. That was only Monday. The down sides are I'm not as regular with the blogging and the reading of blogs as I was. And I miss my big screen monitor and my keyboard. I'm not used to doing so much on the laptop.
But Monday is a holiday - yay Presidents! - so Tarzan has the day off from work and we were discussing what we should do while eating THE MOST DEVINE DINNER EVER LAST NIGHT (OMG! if you get a chance to go to The Melting Pot, it doesn't matter how many organs you have to sell - or who's - go, go, GO! It was aMAZing!) and the possibilities are endless. Visit he beach, use some of the gift cards we have still from Christmas, work in the yard, hang out, sleep late, watch movies, play Sam & Max, take a road trip just because we can, it'll be glorious!! So no, not regretting leaving and not wanting to go back. But missing them a little bit.

This is me, home and looking back, slightly.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

You know, I have heard that the Melting Pot is just absolutely amazing, but I have never gone. Dagnabit I need a boyfriend! :) It sounds like you are having a fabulously wonderful President's Day!!!

From Whence You Cometh