Monday, October 26, 2009

Rise And Fall

Does it feel like a long time since I've posted anything about Dancing With The Stars? It sure seems like more than a week. Perhaps it's the complete reversal of weather patterns here in The Jungle since last week. Or maybe that there's been a lot of activity - birthday you know - or maybe it's just been a looooong week. Who knows?
Still, it's Monday and Monday means the discussion - i.e. my critique - of the celebrity dancers.
I don't see how the jitterbug and the waltz can be opposite each other. They're not similar dances, especially in skill requirements. So that's weird.
Mya's jitterbug was not as big as it could have been, and they spent way too much time on the opening bit.
I hated Melissa's dress and if she has posture problems that dress was not the way to fix it. Her waltz was awkward. Mark's hair was GIGANTIC.
Mark - the other Mark - had the energy that the jitterbug requires for sure. Lacey's outfit was nasty but she doesn't dress well very often. There were a lot of tricks and I think there could a been a tiny bit less of those and a tiny bit more content. Just my opinion.
Aaron's waltz did not suck. Karina's dress did a little bit, the top mostly, I liked the skirt.
Michael's waltz was lovely. Anna's dress was shedding feathers everywhere but it was soft and careful. His posture was poor, his shoulders hunched but the character was there.
Kelly's jitterbug was correct, but not terribly big and that seems to be what separates the jitterbug from the jive. She and Louis were SO CUTE though. And I want her to be great.
Louie is another one I really want to do well - he's so adorable - and the energy was awesome. Chelsie's dress was cute too. He missed some steps in the middle though and I'm not sure if he was supposed to leave Chelsie on her butt or not...
Joanna bugs me for some reason that I can't pinpoint. Don't know why, since her waltz was lovely. Derek does a good job in the choreography and it looked great. Maybe it just didn't feel right for me.
Donny's jitterbug was really cute. He's such a performer and he sells it, no question. It wasn't as big and wild as the others but Donny's a lot older than them too.
Can I just say that I love the marathon idea? They can't have planned the ENTIRE dance, since they don't know how long it will go, so there's got to be some following and leading going on and that's a spectacular idea.
In execution, it was nearly as good as I imagined. I thought that the judges didn't see it precisely right -they missed some key stumbles in my opinion - but I guess a real competition would have the same difficulties. I thought Mya did the best, especially near the end when they were all more tired, but it's not my paddle to use. Aaron did really good I thought and so did Donny. Kelly was weak and I thought she should have been excused before Louie who was holding his own.
Nice addition to the competition.

This is me, and Boo. Yah.

1 comment:

Kate said...

You never win stuff? Well it's about time then! I've posted some hopefully helpful info in the comments section of the book giveaway article. If you need more info just ask.

From Whence You Cometh