Monday, August 03, 2009

The Plants That We Planted

I've alluded to our upside down plants in a previous post or two, but here are some actual pictures of our tomatoes:
Coming soon to a salad near you:
Apparently the grape tomato seedling was the strongest of the two types in the pot because it seems that is what we are getting the most of:
Can anyone tell me if the leaves on the top of the cucumber plant are supposed to get all brown and dried like this:
The whole plant IS getting bigger:
And the leaves at the end of the vines are awesome and green:
So maybe it's an out with the old and in the with the new thing? Maybe I need to water it more? I water them both every single day - which is kind of a record for me - but the one disadvantage to the upside down thing is that the water all runs out if it isn't needed right away. Maybe this is as big as the cucumber will ever get:
Thankfully the cats have not appeared to notice the wavy, chewy things hanging down next to their food bowl:
Famous last words I expect these to be...

This is me with something growing on the back porch.

2 comments:

RHM said...

From your friendly pro-gardener...

The leaves turning crispy, that could be a result of the soil not being high enough in the general nutriants for the cucumber. Cucumbers are water suckers. But don't worry about a few leaves turing color. That's bound to happen anyway.

On the OTHER hand, since you have watered them everyday, the water is taking out the vitamins from the soil, (and putting it where the cats will likely drink the water).

Your best bet, especially since the way you've planted is to spend a little time one day with a shot glass and figure out how much water the thing can take before water starts pouring down the plant.

btw: our cucumbers this year are rather pigmy too around 4-5 inches long. I needed to hit it up with some serious vitaimins. Give that little guy a week before you give up.

Rocketgirl said...

tomatoes?! Me SO jealous! If they were red I'd insist you bring me some. I can't wait to see you!!!

From Whence You Cometh