Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Don'cha Know?

The Land of Cheese is a very neighborly place. I have never seen such friendly people in all my life. I'm a little creeped out actually. In The Jungle one does not usually meet the eyes of EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON THE STREET. Most of them are involved with looking in the gutter for change, being on a cell phone, an ipod or talking to the crack whore who is propositioning them or rejecting their entreaty. I was very used to the anonymity. Here, people - and by that I mean all the people you chance to pass on the sidewalk, glance at in the store or have to deal with at the post office - want not only to look at you and smile but at the VERY least tell you to have a nice day. The more adventurous ones want to know about the kid you are leading by the hand and isn't she a darling (she really is) and where are we headed. Others want to know how long I'm in town - since it's quite obvious that I'm not from around here what with my constant searching the streets for quarters - and what's the occasion and is The Jungle really as wild as they have heard? It's quite a different feel to the public than I am used to.
The ones I have cause to meet in a more formal way treat me like a bosom buddy upon the first meeting. I'd been invited to the local play group, book club and peanut butter party (Apparently some of the kids have really severe allergies so once a year their parents get together and eat a lot of peanut butter infused items) five minutes after being introduced to some of the girls at church.
Don't get me wrong, it's adorable and certainly makes you feel welcome and included - I feel so special - but it's unusual because I don't feel like I've done anything to be special about yet. I've only just met them.


This is me wondering if there's something in the water?

2 comments:

ATL said...

Oh Man! There is something in the peanut butter!

Rocketgirl said...

I love how you are pleasantly surprised, whereas I'm creeped and wondering when I'm going to get hit in the head with a shovel. And yet, it hasn't happened yet. I wonder how nice the people are in February?!

From Whence You Cometh