Sunday, August 16, 2009

Good Advice

Reader's Digest is one of the greatest publications EVER. Ever. I mean, think about it, it's small - and therefore portable - the articles are divided into "chapters" so you can leave it if you have to; there's a great variety of information, it comes every month, not every week or anything, so there's time to enjoy it all and if you have to run off for other things you're not likely to fall behind; it's timeless - it's the one magazine at the dentist or doctor that is not out of date even if it's years old - and the jokes are funny and mostly true and I don't think I've ever seen the same joke twice. I read a LOT of Reader's Digest. A lot a lot.
So imagine my delight when Rocketgirl's edition arrived this last week. And it did not disappoint. Besides an article about Brad Paisley:
Who is totally yummy - I don't think I've ever said that about a guy before - and the bit about teaching your cat to shake hands there was another bit about advice; how to give it, what to do with it when it's given to you and there were some really great 'reader-tested life advice' submissions. Some of my favorites:
  • Live your life so the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral.
  • Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • Do what is right, not what is easy.
  • Never burn a bridge. Just shut it down for renovations for a while.
  • Put the peanut butter on the bread before the jelly.
  • Choose what is wise rather than what is fair.
  • Live through it or die from it - you choose.
  • If you don't have the money to pay for it, don't buy it until you do. (If only more people, including states and nations used this one.)
  • Try to look unimportant. The enemy may be low on ammunition.
  • Never give yourself a haircut after three margaritas.

There are way more that are just as great. If I used yours, thank you! I really loved it. What more can I say? It's a great magazine.

This is me, with the words of advice from Reader's Digest.

1 comment:

Rocketgirl said...

I LOVE these quotes! Especially the bridges one - that's just dead on.

From Whence You Cometh