Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I Made It

It was a much less stressful trip than I was panicking about last night let me tell you. In fact it was probably the easiest trip I have ever taken and that is saying something. I don't have any real horror stories about airports and security. The airlines lost my luggage once but I got it all back a day later. Since I started carrying the written prescriptions for everything with me I have not been stopped once at the security checkpoints, so here's me getting on planes with sharp metal objects and liquids more than 3 oz at a time NOT in a plastic baggie. I am a rebel I tell you, a rebel!
The first leg of the trip was the longest and the most amusing. I was seated in the last row in the plane - which would have been super annoying if they hadn't fixed it so the seat could in fact recline. Thank goodness - between two guys. One was probably in his 50's and real nice. The other, on the aisle was a teenager, couldn't have been more than 17 and this was his first flight ever. Holy smokes I have never seen such a nervous person. Men, in my experience, try to be all macho and tough and nothing-bothers-me around women. Especially when they ARE nervous. So this was quite a change of pace. Once the plane started it's engines, every little bump or ping or beep or thump had his head between his knees hyperventilating and him deciding he wanted to get off. I tried to talk him through it, distract him like, but he was way nervous. Eventually he pulled the hood of his sweatshirt up, huddled his head under my arm and stayed like that for about an hour. I am not above playing the mother figure to any guy, just like I flirt or bully or whatever they want in the moment, but this was a tad overplayed I thought. Parts of it were cute and amusing and other parts were just annoying. Most of the annoyance was because I wanted to go to sleep. I had planned on getting at least four hours in a row and I might have been just a tad cranky. I hadn't had any sleep at all last night though. As I was packing I started to get really anxious about getting up on time. The flight was at 6:40am and the shuttle people, morons, were scheduled to come at 4am. If I have to get up before 8:00am then Tarzan needs to be my alarm clock or it just ain't gonnna happen. And Tarzan just happened to be gone to Scout Camp Monday morning so I was on my own and the thought came to me that I would have a lot of time just sitting on the planes and laying over between and why didn't I just stay up until 4am and then I would not miss the shuttle. So I did, and I didn't and I made it here with no mishaps other than tiredness. And once the guy - who's name I still don't know - calmed down I did sleep, and again at the airport and then again on the second plane. All in all it was all right. Rocketgirl is still pregnant, though she doesn't want to be, and Sunshine is a doll. Their house is gorgeous and there's just a ton of room everywhere. It's a little rural but after The Jungle's humanity 24/7 this is going to be fun.

This is me, in The Land of Cheese.

1 comment:

Rocketgirl said...

At some point you should have decked him. Or told him to man up and grow a pair. Heh.

From Whence You Cometh