Friday, August 31, 2007

Introducing

It's that time again peeps, time for Dancing With The Stars! And while I know the contestants are judged and eliminated based on personality and popularity and controversy and not in any way (often) related to their dancing ability and the judges make inflammatory statements and fight merely for ratings and the best dancer is not necessarily the one who wins...knowing all of that, I watch the show anyway. Why you ask? For the dancing. The real dancing. Whatever the other reality shows are pushing this one has professionals who show off what the real REAL thing is like. And for that alone I subject myself to Bruno (ick) every single week. Well, that and Tom Bergeron. He's so cute. (He's like the Chairman of Iron Chef, always slightly amused with what he gets paid to do.)
That being said I present the list of stars who will be dancing and their professional partners and my not-at-all professional or even informed opinion of them all.
  • I'm predisposed to dislike Melanie Brown simply because she was 'Scary Spice' of The Spice Girls. Further not in her favor there's the whole paternity mess with Eddie Murphy. So yeah, I'm expecting a whole lotta attitude but not a lot of talent. She may surprise me being paired with Maxim Chmerkovskiy. He's a tough guy who can handle the attitude. It may also blow up in our faces with the drama.
  • Again, not going into this really liking Sabrina Bryan. As a member of The Cheetah Girls and with bit parts on soap operas I don't have a lot of faith in her fortitude. She seems young and...poof-y. The chick has her own paper doll. C'mon. I don't know her partner Mark Ballas at all, this is his first season, so we shall see if he can handle it. And her.
  • Helio Castroneves is a race car driver. Don't know if that means he is in good shape or not. He looks okay from the pictures. He's doesn't stink at his career - he's won the Indy 500 two years in a row. The biggest drawback, at this point, for me, is that his partner is Julianne Hough. I don't like her. I didn't like her last season, I don't expect to like her in this one. She's very stereotypically blond and something seems less than upfront about her.
  • Now this is interesting. Rather than bring the athlete, they bring the OWNER of the athletes. Mark Cuban is the owner of the Dallas Mavericks which is a basketball team I see. He's way rich, but he had to work for the money - entrepreneur and all - so that may be in his favor. He's not old either which I find to be favorable because his partner Kym Johnson seems nice and I like her.
  • I admit it. When I hear Jennie Garth, I think Beverly Hills 90210. What can I say? I was 14 when it premiered. But she's not only Kelly. She's moved on, done other things, she has a life that's not smeared all over the tabloids. I can like her. Her partner being Derek Hough (Julianne's brother) is an iffy thing. Hopefully he's not as annoying as she is - though considering last season's exhibition number I can't count on it.
  • There's a danger with supermodels like Josie Maran. The bad possibility is they can be snobbish and all full of themselves. Very I-can-not-bear-to-look-at-you-because-I-am-better. The good possibility is she could be like Paulina from last season who was very sweet and self depreciating. I'm going to hope for that. And she's dancing with Alec Mazo (fiance of Edyta who we like) who looks like Cillian Murphy who we also like. It's all good.
  • Cameron Mathison is a soap opera star...ehn. Can't say I am expecting great stuff from him. But. But, but, but. The man is young and hot - two things that we are happy Edyta's partner is. Also he seems to be a family man - has two kids, by the same woman, who he's married to. In this day and age this is not a small feat. There is potential here.
  • Suddenly we are on a boxing kick over at the DWTS office? Not to say I didn't love Laila but these people get all knocked around and it's a miracle they can walk straight when they finally retire. Not a fun career as far as I can tell. However, "Pretty Boy" Floyd Mayweather thinks he's got what it takes. On the upside he's fairly young. He's won a lot too. But if Karina thought Billy Ray was a tough partner...
  • Heh. As my sister said, "Isn't Wayne Newton dead yet?" Surprisingly Mr.Las Vegas is only 65. He has been singing there (Las Vegas that is) for 40 years. He seemingly doesn't like to pay his income tax though. Interesting. The fates finally realigned in making his partner Cheryl Burke. She's had three amazing guys in three seasons. It's about time.
  • Marie Osmond will be fun I think. I hope. She's in her 40's so I hope she doesn't become the 'vote for the older woman' advocate. Vote if she's a good dancer. That's all I ask. She's not likely a snob though she might be perkier than is comfortable in a competition. We shall see. I'm partially in favor of her because she gets to dance with Jonathan who is oh so cute and has thus far been stuck with chicks who couldn't dance.
  • A male model. Huh. Would not have thought they'd be into this sort of thing. Especially Albert Reed. From the looks of his advertisements he's the dark, brooding, not quite stereotypical bad boy because he has a lot of money, but motorcycle riding, too cool for stuff like ballroom dancing kind of guy. Could be good. He's young, really young. Sam better watch her comparisons this time around. Anna's a good teacher though and this boy is good looking and likely to be a favorite with the younger female crowd - who, frankly, are the ones most likely to vote.
  • And Jane Seymour. I'm predisposed to like her. Yes, I watched Dr.Quinn, Medicine Woman. Every episode, every season. She's pretty, okay gorgeous - she WAS a Bond girl. She's talented. She's nice. What more can you want from a star? She does look amazing her age, which is higher than you'd think. Working with Tony, who loves ALL his partners equally - he's very fair - will make for a nice pair to look at and also hopefully a well scored pair.
This is me getting ready for Season 5. Woot.

No comments:

From Whence You Cometh