Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Reviews

Sitting in the theater last night, watching the credits roll (that's the rule in The Jungle, one must watch ALL the credits because everyone you know is in some way connected to the movies and you never know when you might see someone's name on the screen - or at least someone with the same name as someone you know - there's a Smurfy listed as a music mixer quite often) and sure enough: the construction coordinator for Hairspray is probably related to me, distantly. Same last name. And ours is not all that common a name - like Smith or Garcia say, so the chances are real good we're second cousins or such. Apparently he's also worked on A LOT of other movies too. (Thanks IMDB) Nice. I have an 'industry' relative. Wonder of he can get me tickets to the Oscars?
There has been some serious film viewing in The Jungle lately. Hairspray, natch, and it was really enjoyable. Tarzan definitely did NOT want to go, so my sister and I went last night, which was Scout night for him. I think he would have enjoyed it though. It is a musical - be forewarned - but it worked. I have never seen the stage production but I did read all the newspaper reviews of the movie so I had heard that it was hard to forget that John Travolta was playing Edna. But the other review was true too; it was okay that you couldn't forget. I mean, for a guy who's riding Harleys in the next theater, John looked mighty fine in pink sequins. OMG Elijah Kelley - such the next Sammy Davis Jr.!! So hot and the boy can dance. Christopher Walken. Such a strange and yet endearing character. Nikki Blonsky was quite right for the role. Self confident, idealistic but innocent enough that the evil-ness of the von Tussles worked. Michelle Pfieffer does a good bad woman. Brittney Snow does well playing a teenager dancing live on TV. (American Dreams anyone?) Amanda Bynes was really funny. I hope her character was supposed to be because it really worked. Totally did not realize until A said something that James Marsden - playing Corney Collins - is also CYCLOPS!! (From X-Men) I know! What a character shift. THAT's why he looked so familiar though. Queen Latifeh probably has issues, a past, troubles, horrible, campy, movies she made while trying to break into the business, but she seems to be a classy lady. I really like her. All in all a great flick. Happy but with a point. Well acted, fun and funny and sweet. So glad I saw it.
-->Favorite Quote: "These knots may...was your mom in the Navy?"
The Prestige came from Netflix last week - and we finally got around to seeing it over the weekend. (Can I just say; David Bowie ends up in the weirdest places.)That is one spooky movie. I don't watch horror movies, too gory and not so much about point, just terror. (Imagine!) But I read a lot of psychological thrillers (James Patterson primarily) and since it starred Hugh Jackman and was about illusionists...(I dated a 'magician' in college and it's cheesy I know, but I love David Copperfield - the man flies, come on that's cool!!) It seemed like a good pick. It certainly was not gory, or violent, but holy cow the games it plays with your mind!! Freak. Even knowing how it ends and reading all the FAQ from IMDB I still marvel at HOW they played the audience. Tarzan thinks it was poorly written but I'm not so sure. It's just very complex and subtle. But that may be the sucess of the movie. I want to see it again and again to figure the freaky little details and foreshadowing out. Wolverine (also X-men) seems like a random pick for Hugh Jackman, his other characters are such wack jobs. Can you say obsessive? Brrrr.
-->Favorite Quote: "Exact science, Mr Angier, is not an exact science."
All I can say about The Bourne Ultimatum is h*** yeah Jason! Well, I can say more. First the bad. The camera effects were loose, very loose. I think it was supposed to emulate perspective of a person in the actual movie but really, it was kinda nauseating. A had to leave for a bit in the middle because she got motion sickness. Not so good. The good was much better. Finally Jason Bourne started to be proactive about it. In the other two movies he was very much confused all the time. "Who am I?" "Who are these dudes trying to kill me now?" A step behind and having to react to stay alive. In this, the third movie (and there's no doubt there will be a fourth), he was more "Oh yeah? Well try and kill me now you turkeys" Interesting to see Pamela Landy as the "good" government this time. The stunts were bigger and the chases more outrageous - got to ratchet the action up - and some of them were pretty implausible. The boy drove a car off a roof. Backwards. And walked away. Dude. Julia Stiles had a larger role and good character development. The end scene was excellent.
-->Favorite Quote: "If you were in your office right now we'd be having this conversation face-to-face."

Still to see: Stardust, Rush Hour 3

This is me, reviewing some summer shows.

No comments:

From Whence You Cometh