Thursday, August 30, 2007

Hoo-ah!

Aaaand we're back.
Onesome: "Over-- the Rainbow" Has someone 'Somewhere' done the song better than Judy Garland did in the movie? ...or does she still 'own' it in your opinion?
  • Judy most definitely owns "Somewhere Over The Rainbow." Hands down. The only version that comes close - and the reason I like it is because it doesn't try to BE Judy Garland - is the mix by Israel Kamakawiwo`ole. He does a very original, and sweet, mix with "What A Wonderful World." It surely is the original but it's also not...and that's what's good about it.
Twosome: the-- best all time album in your collection? ...or one you'd like to have? Sure, the Go-Gos count, but hey...
  • Hmmm. That probably changes depending on my mood. Love my soundtracks. Wicked would be my favorite based on most number of times listened to. Kristin Chenoweth's As I Am is gorgeous. Big Bad Voo Doo Daddy's title album is my favorite for dancing. There's Awake, Josh Groban's 3rd...oh I don't know. I love them all! I can't choose a "best."
Threesome: Rainbow"?-- As sung by Billy Ray Cyrus? (Yes, on his latest album.) Who has done the best "cover" of a song you like to listen to? You know, better than the original artist...
  • Does it count as a cover if the writer wrote it for a group and then sang it himself as well? I heard 'Red Red Wine' first by UB40 and I suppose they are the original artist even though Neil Diamond wrote the song and performed it himself. (Same for 'I'm A Believer' made famous by the Monkees) I tend to like the first version of a song I hear, and think of others as the covers though that's not entirely accurate. Witness 'Ticket To Ride' by The Carpenters and The Beatles. Love The Carpenters, not so much love for the Beatles. But my mom is the total opposite. Can I count Mannheim Steamroller's 'God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen' as a cover? Because I LOVE that song. Way better than any other version of the carol.

This is me needing to listen to more music.

No comments:

From Whence You Cometh