Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Next Round

As promised we have taken the challenge, bit the bullet, girded our loins (what a weird phrase) and went to see some more movies and now out of the goodness of our hearts we offer our opinions so that you will be guided in your quest to see quality filmage.
**I have got to say - I think the "we" phrasing is silly. The boss says when talking about projects I shouldn't say "I" because "in this business we never do anything alone." Uh-huh. Why shouldn't I say "I" did it when I did all the work, made the copies and the scans, emailed it out and then made the corrections and dealt with the unreasonable client as well? Strange business this architecting. Whatevs.**
So. We saw Stardust which was - as expected - a fairy tale. Cute. For me, the best part was Robert De Niro, hands down. Charlie Cox, a realative newcomer, played the wide eyed and innocent well. He definitely needs the longer hair. I couldn't see him being the love interest when the movie started. Also as mentioned previously Michelle Pfeiffer does a really good bad woman. My only beef would be near the end - why would she tell him like that? Seems VERY sudden and anti-climatic and rushed. Almost like...well he's got to know and there's no dialogue here yet so have her say it then. Otherwise it was good. Not tired or overdone - had some twists to it. Definitely a date movie.
-->Favorite Quote: "we've always known you were a bit of a whoopsie sir..."
From Netflix came Nannie McPhee. I can see how it was trying to be a children's film but I don't know that it suceeded. It was very...Dr. Seuss-ish. Lavish colors, not right angled and very fantastical. Sweet concept though, and Emma Thompson was wonderful. I like Colin Firth usually but he plays a bit of a dodo in this. Again, my issue is with the revelation at the end. Why didn't they ask Dr. Brown first? The audience knows how she feels - why make her say it first? Otherwise, cute. Little weird. Maybe British children's humor? Love, love, LOVE Angela Landsbury. That woman is a-MAZE-ing. Who has played so many roles, so well, for so long? She's been a bombshell, an airhead, a teenager, a loose woman, a witch, a wacko, a queen, an evil genius, an overboard mother, a pirate, a spinster, a sage, a murder mystery sleuth, Mrs. Santa Claus and so many more. She's just fantastic.
-->Favorite Quote: "I did knock..."
Then this last weekend we saw Rush Hour 3 in the theaters. Not sure what we see in the trilogy. The movies are crude, slapstick comedy, unrealistic and silly. And yet so very funny. I expect it's Jackie Chan that makes the difference. When he said "you down with that Snoopy?" my head started hurting from laughing so hard. Maybe it's because Jackie Chan's character isn't TRYING to be funny that it's so funny. I don't know. Chris Tucker's character certainly IS trying to be funny and he almost isn't, though he delivers most of the jokes. He does get to beat up a few more people in this installment.
-->Favorite Quote: "...everybody was kung-fu fighting..."

This is me re-viewing.

1 comment:

Rocketgirl said...

I have the same birthday as Ms. Lansbury. You don't even have to look it up to know what day:) I loved Nanny McPhee 0 I don't think it matters to mehow Colin Firth is acting, as long as I get to look at him!

From Whence You Cometh