Thursday, September 03, 2009

In Absentia

You are the sweetest people in the Internets, you really are, asking where I've been the last few days, missing me, wondering if I died or something. I feel all specials and fuzzy and things like that there.
As it turns out, Tarzan and I have been out in The Desert with my parents to can up some pickles. My mom has the best recipes for pickles anywhere - sorry to all the moms who read this - and Tarzan has been dying to get an expedition together to make pickles. A lot of pickles. Enough pickles for him to eat whenever he wants the whole year long. (I don't think you know how many pickles that could be.)
So Monday morning we met up with the wholesale produce guy I know from working at the food bank on Thursdays, picked up a lot of cucumbers, beets and onions and trekked it all out to my parents' house. My mom has all the jars and the canner and what all already. We have been washing, cutting, mixing, pouring and sealing all week. Well my mother, sister and I have been. Tarzan took my brothers, some boys from church and they were involved in this instead:
Boys.
Still I think we managed to make enough. Hard to believe this:
Became this:
This:
And this:
It's gonna be yummy come Thanksgiving time.

This is me, out in The Desert making pickles.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I remember making relish one year with my Dad...I admit, I hated the process...the house smelled bad for FOREVER...and it was like the smell wouldn't leave me even after I left the house.

BUT...the outcome was TOTALLY worth it. Nobody makes relish like my Dad. It's the only way I eat a tuna fish sandwich nowadays...tuna, little tiny bit of mayo, TONS of Daddy's relish...it's okay if there is more relish than tuna, it's worth it...

Glad to hear you are having good times!

Morgan said...

I so wish I could've been there!!

Mom's pickles ARE the best in the world! and the beets!!! sob

=D

From Whence You Cometh