Friday, September 18, 2009

End Of An Era

We all knew it was coming - the man was 92 and really sick - but still I was startled when we received the news that GOM had passed away last night. My first thought was for Gamma and her siblings. This is their dad of course, while he's just my grandfather-in-law. I never saw him in his prime, all authoritative, imposing, fast enough to run after the little brats who broke his window with the baseball. I never knew him like that.
But Tarzan did.
I never knew him as a father who went to Courts of Honor, helped with the math homework, paid for weddings or beat up the boyfriends that broke his daughter's heart.
But Gamma did.
From my point of view, it's a relief that the pain and the stress and the weariness is over; he's with his wife, he can walk again, learn or teach, depending, catch up with his family, and be as well as he lamented the loss of when we were down there staying with him.
But for them, it's the end of an era. The house that has been the center of so many activities and events will likely be sold. Another gathering place, with enough bedrooms for all seven kids, their spouses, their kids and their kids' kids will have to be found. But it won't be the same. They'll need a new head, a new patriarch.
At the risk of sounding over-dramatic, it's a paradigm shift.
And for them I am feeling the loss.

This is me, hoping I can be of some help to someone.

3 comments:

RHM said...

Hang in there Tarzan and Jane.

Tarzan said...

I actually don't know anything about the GOM stories you briefly mentioned. Please fill me in later.

Rocketgirl said...

THis was sweetly, and perfectly stated. I really appreciate this post - and you. And I want more stories :)

From Whence You Cometh