Saturday, September 05, 2009

So It Begins

And it's awesome.
I love the fall. It's kind of hard to remember that it IS fall here in The Jungle, it being 95 degrees and all, but it doesn't change the fact that I love the season. September always makes me feel nostalgic. Maybe because my birthday is in the fall, maybe because the fall leads to holidays, maybe because the College FOOTBALL SEASON starts. I know, some of you don't have the fever yet and that's okay. I was a latecomer myself. But once you find religion, there's no going back.
The season started for my team today and there was the obligatory blurb on which staff and players had graduated and which were back and who was on the starting lineup. Our quarterback is a true freshman, which is unusual, but he didn't stink and with time is likely to get a lot better. The defensive line is just amazing - new or returning - and I think that's partly why we're ranked so high to begin the season. (#4) Hopefully we can keep it up.
The blurb had quotes from a lot of the players and staff but I liked what the coach said - it's not new - and his attitude about playing our best no matter who the other team is and forgetting our rank and what the end of the season may or may not bring. Just play the game. Play well, play hard and do your best. In a really cliche line "leave it all on the field." A lot of coaches and players say that but I think he really meant it. It seems to be how he leads the team and I think that's why our coach is Coach of the Decade.

This is me, with a win. 56-3.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Yeah, I really am not a football fanatic...but, I mean, I am in the South...football is in the air ALL YEAR LONG...even in the middle of APRIL...it's recruiting time. February, they might talk about the Superbowl and how it went and all, but they will find SOMETHING to talk about that is SEC related.

So as long as I am going to YSA activities that are planned around all the Alabama games, might as well keep some tabs on ASU...

Rocketgirl said...

I can't be happy about fall coming.. it means winter is around the corner and... I'm terrified to imagine how bad it's going to be... oh, and my husband just left me for his girlfriend, college football. You weirdos.

From Whence You Cometh