Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Serving The Nation

Some people are annoyed by jury duty but I find it mostly amusing. Likely because of my first experience, but I hope that I would still be entertained by the crazies that one sees at the courthouse even if I hadn't met (slightly) famous people and had one buy me lunch.
About the crazies. Not certifiably crazy, just making like crazy in the hope they will be excused from jury duty. HIGHLY amusing. The judge knows what they're trying to do and the attorneys know what they're trying to do so certain questions get asked two or three different ways, trying to get them to admit they aren't insane. And most of them fall for it. The ones to watch out for are the ones who have no issues blatantly lying about what they do, who they know and if they've ever been arrested. ("Yes, I have been arrested several times for civil disobedience and dozens of my friends are lawyers.")
There are some decent people though, and by decent I mean honest. They could be wackos at home but in public at least, they come to take their turn, answer the questions forthrightly and have about ten minutes spent on them. Then they have to spend the rest of the three days waiting for the crazies to get tripped up or kicked out.
It is an imperfect system.
But.
I met a guy yesterday who owns his own business, Interior Plantscapes, which is just what it sounds like. If you've ever been in a mall, or an office, or any indoor facility and seen a tree, shrub, bush, etc. and wondered if it was real and how did they get it in there and how do they keep it alive - he's a guy who figures it out.
Pretty cool actually. I've always liked plants. Maybe I should rethink my career path...

This is me, on jury duty.

No comments:

From Whence You Cometh