Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Superstars Is A Matter Of Opinion

Has anyone else been watching Superstars of Dance? As much as I love all kinds of dance, I am almost ashamed to say I did. It was a well conceived idea for a show, but horribly, horribly executed. There are no guidelines as to what we are watching and though it bugs the crap out of me to have it repeated a zillion times in one episode, at least on DWTS there is NO doubt as to how the scoring works.
I realize that since he produced, directed and conceived of the show it was likely Michael Flatley would star in it too, but who wrote the copy? He's a good dancer with a sexy accent but "the most popular entertainer on the planet?" Oookay... (I had to raise my eyebrows at the segment from his new show Celtic Tiger with the chick in the bikini? How is that in any way Irish, dance or tasteful?) I also think he thought that Ireland would walk away with the prize - since all their numbers were choreographed by him truly - and maybe got a little bummed at the end when they didn't even place? The soloist from Ireland totally should have gone ahead of the weird popping guy from the USA. How is that dance? SO, SO thankful the best he did was a bronze star. I would have been mightily upset if the Russian ballerina hadn't won. She was excellent. India definitely got snubbed. South Africa was a little too tribal except for the duo so I'm glad they placed well. China was awesome and except for the final duet, Australia was weird.
And speaking of how they scored stuff, my completely biased and subjective opinion of the judges:
Argentina: Such a cute lady, she makes a motion in the air with her finger right before she enters her score.
India: Has to say his score in Indian before he says it in English. First week he gave a nine and the word in his native language is "no" so we were a little confused as to what he meant.
Australia: Needs more dance content. That's her answer to everything.
South Africa: This man is judgemental like I have never seen. Everyone else can give a nine and he'll pick seven. Not with any justification. He's also the only one to give a three. A 3!? Dude, everyone else is playing nice - don't be a snob. I think he thinks South Africa should win and since he can't score for them, is giving everyone else low scores to make up for it.
USA: He thinks he's hot stuff since he's related to the Selznick family. Like he's come down from on high to sit on the panel and we should all cry from gratitude.
Ireland: I wonder if he's intimidated by Michael Flately - or maybe just annoyed by - the man grew up in Chicago after all - Michael that is. The judge doesn't say much, but he also gives what appears to be an independent score unrelated to what other judges have submitted.
Russia: He's funny, making jokes about the KGB and Communism. My second favorite judge.
China: Totally my favorite judge, I don't even know if he understands English. He sits there, watches the number and gives a score, all without moving a facial muscle. No explanation for the score. Just bam, eight. That's all.
And my biggest pet peeve is that the scores aren't locked in BEFORE they speak, so I think some judges are giving numbers based on what someone else has said. The only genuine score is the first one.
So, maybe if they revise the structure for the show a little bit - it had a lot of great pieces but no real cohesiveness.


This is me, only able to justify one post for the entire show.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pity, I had looked forward to more posts about the show. I agree with you and it was VERY clear by the second week that the China judge had no English beyond numbers. Granted if you read the judge profiles, the judge from China was the master of the Kung Fu Monestary that was featured.

Rocketgirl said...

Micheal Flatley was raised in Chicago? Huh. I'm so glad you do posts like this - I don't need to see the show and when someone brings it up in conversation, I can sound like I know what I'm talking about and quote you:)

From Whence You Cometh