Sunday, January 25, 2009

No Habla Except When There's A Problem?

It's so hard to find post topics on a Sunday. Why is that do you think?
Here's a puzzle for you - I am the leader of the Primary at church - this is children ages 18 months through 12 years. We have age specific classes and activities obviously, and therefore different teachers. My teachers all speak Spanish as well as English - it's the neighborhood we live in, no biggie - and I speak no Spanish other than "Gracias," and "(H)ola." Sad, perhaps, but languages are not my gift. At social events, or with questions about their responsibilities, my teachers talk to each other, alternating between the two languages with no recognition that they are. I'm not always included and when I am, I can't always follow the language switch, though I am good at infering, smiling big and saying "oh really?"
On the other hand, when it comes to issues with their husbands or kids, they seek me out. What is THAT about? Of the eight of us I am the ONLY ONE who does not have kids. How in any way am I qualified to tell them why little Tommy is acting out at home? And I certainly don't know what to say when it's about husbands who don't want to get jobs or come to church anymore. I can sometimes make crap up - like I do for everything else - but why is that not what they talk about to each other and include me in some of the fun stuff? The stuff not relating to personages I don't have.

This is me, not sure what to do with that.

2 comments:

Slobodans said...

I actually often have a sort of opposite problem. People at church often seek me out for 'social work-y' stuff...so (hopefully) I know what I am talking about but I would sure like to talk about other things...like 'church-y' stuff!

Anonymous said...

by the by, there are a lot of silent letters in Spanish. Hola happens to be one of them. I'll help you out next time I'm down. It's not my favorite thing in the world. I actually have some pretty serious reasons for avoiding speaking any of the lanuages I was raised with. Hang in there.

From Whence You Cometh