Wednesday, June 11, 2008

It's A Wash

"I've got some good news and some bad news," I told the doctor yesterday when I went back for the follow up on my thumb that got the Cortisone six weeks ago.
The good news being my thumb is perfect-o. He said after the last visit that I should start to see a change in two weeks but it was about a week later that I could bend my thumb again normally. No pain, no clicking; it's awesome to have the use of my thumb again. Maybe I'm a quick study.
And I'm maybe also accident prone because the bad news is the middle finger on my other hand needed a shot. The achy, stiffness is not going away. He couldn't feel a nodule of infection in the finger like there had been in my thumb but his opinion is that we caught it earlier and this was preemptive Cortisone. I think he just likes sticking people because he needs the practice. I could see his eyes light up when it came time to get out the gigantic needle that draws the Cortisone up. And maybe it's because I had been lulled into a false sense of security after the last episode and was all relaxed but this shot hurt. HURT bad, people. Not in the flesh freezing off my bones bad fortunately, but nasty. He said he gave me a local anesthetic but I think it was expired or something because my finger did not get numb and it ached all day long from the poking and jabbing of the needle. Does anyone else's doctor make them use iodine to clean the injection area? It's kinda weird to go out in society with my hand all brown-y yellow after coating my hand in iodine. No one says anything but I know they're all looking at me and my bandage wondering.

This is me, hopefully done with gigantic needles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bummer on the needles, but wait until you see what I've got from my doctor. Oy.

Rocketgirl said...

You are so lucky 0 our gitarist just had surgery on his finger (left hand mind you - noooo!) and it hurts WORSE. He's figuring his last ditch effort is cortizone, but he's still playing (fabulously) through the pain - it's horrible!

From Whence You Cometh