Saturday, June 07, 2008

Celtic Woman

I'm a little late to the party...I know. I usually am. But that doesn't mean the group is any less spectacular. I am of course talking about the singing sensations sweeping the nation right now: Celtic Woman.
I have mentioned before that I love all things Irish, but I do hate to jump on a bandwagon - I am not a joiner for the sake of joining. There are a few exceptions. This being one of them.
From left to right they are; Lisa, Chloe, Orla, Meav and Mairead. There is not a doubt that any of them are talented. They all sing except Mairead who plays the violin/fiddle like a fiend. Does anyone else make judgements about a person having never met them? (Stephanie J. Block may not be the paragon of personage I make her out to be but one can forgive a lot for a talent like that.) I do. Facial expressions, posture, hands, smile. They all compile in my brain to give me a likely false impression of a person. A famous person at least.
Lisa I love. She is pretty of course - they all are. She's also a mother, from Ireland and she stands still when she sings. Her arms don't move, they're relaxed when she sings. In fact she seems very natural on stage. And she doesn't close her eyes. On such shallow things do I base my opinion. (Her website is green!)
Chloe is really young. She's 15 or 16 which seems really young. I have very little opinion one way or another regarding her. Is that sad? She closes her eyes some of the time but her arms are good.
Orla strikes me as the diva of the group. No idea why. She certainly seems nice enough in her interviews. Maybe it's because she also plays the harp and is very straight when she sings. Almost stiff. She also has a pointy nose that could be stuck up.
Meav reminds me of a blogger that I read - in looks only, and that only slightly - but because I don't agree with the blogging woman, I have a gut rejection of Meav. That seems unfair I know but what can I do? She also moves her arms a lot and closes her eyes when she sings.
Mairead is the fiddle player and she is amazing. She also flips her hair A LOT while playing and I figure it must be a learned thing so she moves more while performing but I can't say I care for it. The first time I saw her play I thought she ought to tie it back, but then I realized she does it on purpose. I know not why.
So that's my preference. Based purely on appearances. And likely not accurate. But whatevs. Not like I will meet them ever you know?

This is me, lovin' the heritage. (Not that they're related to me but you know)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea. Yet another mark in our column. Heh. I like them too. their performances are rather interesting. Not quite River Dance but very interesting.

Rocketgirl said...

Where have you seen them doing their thang? Your comments are so detailed!

From Whence You Cometh