Saturday, June 21, 2008

Your Assistance Is Required

My Internet friends, I have a problem. See, I had a hair stylist, and she was amazing. She knew what I wanted even when I couldn't describe it. She didn't give me lots of goop to put in my hair, she kept it on the long side and simple maintenance - for fancy occasions I can deal but I don't want to have to wrestle a hair dryer and/or curling iron every day. She knew to style it around my freaky hairline and what would look good with my cantaloupe head.
But she moved. Up north. And while she was awesome, I could have fed a small nation on what she charged. Still, I was working and I only went 2-3 times a year, so I figured it all balanced out.
Now I'm not working, and my super hair dresser is gone and my head was in desperate need of...something. (I realize this before and after thing could be construed as a copy of Rocketgirl's post, but she knows I want to be her so what's the dif?) As you can see, I needed some help: I got online and started looking for beauty schools. Rumor says they are much cheaper and that's never bad and they are supervised by an instructor so they won't chop all your hair off or dye it green or something. They were MUCH cheaper, about a fifth (that's 1/5) of my previous stylist, but the down side is it took three times as long (3X!!) Students apparently lack self confidence and need to get each step approved by the instructor, blah, blah, blah. I was in the chair from 10:30 until 3:00. Got my hair washed twice and spent a lot of time sitting while she went to fetch her teacher.
So here is my dilemma. Is the extra time spent - and by extra, I mean pretty much all day - worth the money saved? Should I continue going to the school - and get a different stylist each time - or find a professional, pay more but be reliable and get out of there in a decent hour?
This picture does not do the color justice, it's really a lot lighter than it looks, and I didn't want anything drastic:

This is me, wondering, is the time worth it?

8 comments:

Keah and Michael O'Hearon said...

I'm totally gonna go with the time not being worth it! Do you guys have places...like here we have First choice Hair Cutters.....all pros, but on the cheap side of haircuts....try finding something like that!

Rocketgirl said...

I've done the schools, and I've done the expensive stuff too. I have pretty easy-ish hair so usually a good job is done, but then, how to style it?? THat's the hardest part for me, so I need someone to be nice and do a good job, then show me how to get it to look decent on my own and not style it SO amazing that the next day I don't have a meltdown after trying to recreate it. I figure it's worth the money to find someone you can like and trust, since the school thing - although handy for quick stuff, can be a crapshoot. I've had great stuff there, and not so great, so now I've decided to just pony up the dough if I find something I like.

One place I dig for schools though, if you have one nearby, is TOni and Guy. they have academies around the country and you aren't allowed to do hair there unless you are close to graduating already. That's the most consistent place I've gone that's inexpensive, but there's none in GA, so le sigh.

I do always bring in a picture to show the stylist what I want and discuss it a lot. I've found a good haircut grows out well too, so I don't have to go back every 3 months and spend an arm and a leg that way.

Last but not least - whenever I see someone with hair that looks like mine and a cut I like, I stop them, be as sweet as possible and beg for the number of their hairdresser. My present chick was found when Jared saw a girl at church with a hairstyle I wanted, and he went over to find out who did it - then he found out she did hair and made me go get an appointment:)

I think you look great with long hair because you have that natural wave that is so handy to have. TBut getting someone to get the right layers is always a headache... look for someone I say, then bring in a picture of you with hair you like, or someone else and read 'em the riot act until they promise to gove you the world's greatest cut:)

YOU ARE HOTT!! Can't wait to see you next week!!!!!!!!!!

Rocketgirl said...

Okay, so I read the first part and then thought of all the advice I could come up with and wrote my comment, then went back to actually read the entry. Now that I'm actually looking at the before and after pic, I think the after is really good on you!! I think you should give that pic to your next stylist and tell them to do something just like that. it's so soft and feminine, and I love the style on you!!! I know the time is a factor - plus the hoping the person won't completely botch it up, but whoever did your hair did a really lovely job. Yay for being hott!!!

Rocketgirl said...

PPS - sorry, can't stop looking at the pics - the lighter color is really fabulous for your skin tone too. (I'm better when my hair is lightened too - wish it was natural!!) You could even get bored and get highlights at some point and it wouldn't look too drastic. Did Taezan dig it?? Smooches!!

Slobodans said...

I'm all about saving time....plus, I pretty much have a panic attack if I don't feel confident in my stylist. As far as I see it, there's too much risk with the students. Yeah, you save money, but 3 hours of your day??? How much are those 3 hours worth to you? Plus, it was a success this time, but who knows who'll you get the next time around. I say, bite the bullet and pay for the professional who can have you in and out in an hour....but that's just me and I am a bit anal about hair! :)

Elizabeth said...

The look looks good, the time in my opinion isn't worth it though. That is pretty much ridiculous. The real question is, what would you have done with your time afterwards? I mean, if you didn't have anything else that you were going to do and if you had a book you were wanting to catch up on, that would be cool...problem is you have the thingy wrapped around you to protect your clothing from hair...yeah, I would save the time and money and go somewhere nicer...

Elizabeth said...

BTW, my aunt, who cuts hair (not colors...at least last time I checked she doesn't, maybe she does, I have no idea, she's never colored mine...) out of her house who I have never had a bad hair cut from in my life lives in Santa Clarita...she is simply AMAZING. I know that MAY be a long ways from where you live (as I have absolutely no idea where in Cali you live besides the southern half...) but if you want her number I will give it to you. She cuts hair out of her home.

Anonymous said...

Let's see... If I understand the situation, no work equals no money, but it should also equal lots of time. People who have jobs with regular hours will almost always choose to pay more to save time. If you have the luxury of not having to work, then why worry about three hours versus thirty minutes?

I mean, is there something pressing that you must attend to on those two or three days a year? Why not make it an entire day and throw in a spa treatment? A nice facial and mani-pedi would round out the day and leave you renewed and refreshed, and that cost could be easily absorbed over the next 4 to 6 month wait before you do it all over again.

From Whence You Cometh