Monday, June 30, 2008

Guts And Determination

Whew. I am so exhausted. Exhausted in a good way to be sure, it was a FAB-U-LOUS week- and pictures will follow as soon as I can organize the 5,000 of them - but it was a lot of stuff to do, a lot of fun to have, a lot of sexy to be and now I am just tired. So tired I totally forgot about the weekly meme until just this moment. Sorry Back Porch peeps.
::Onesome: "Guts"-- sometimes can determine the outcome: whoever digs in and plays through the injuries and circumstances. What is your favorite memory of someone or a team driving past adversity to win the big one?

  • Again, the eerie phenomenon of The Back Porch knowing what I have been doing with my days...we JUST watched We Are Marshall the other night. Not as cheesy or as predictable as I would have thought. Not bad at all. And a great 'guts' story.
::Twosome: ...and-- what brought that question on? The local team won the College World Series last night, winning every elimination game possible to advance as the lowest seed ever to win a National Title. No question, just kudos to them. Okay, easy question: did you hear anything about the games where you are?
  • Nope. But we were busy watching the two professional teams that reside about 10 feet from each other here in The Jungle, not make any effort at all for three entire games. It was kind of sad.
::Threesome: Determination-- helps in life: what have you accomplished through sheer determination that will remain with you as a bright spot in your life?
  • This is a hard question. I feel that I have been richly blessed in my life, to the point where some would call me spoiled, not in money terms but in experience. Maybe the thing I had to put the most effort into was getting my degree. I was burnt out near the end of college. Five years is a long degree path and after having one professor tell me I needed to switch majors (after ending up in the hospital one Christmas break because of the stress) I was not as enamored of the major either. A smart person would probably have reconsidered her options and maybe done something else - I could kick myself right now for NOT doing that - but I didn't. I got stubborn and decided that if he wanted me to leave, I was darn well going to stay and finish the blasted thing. And I did. But I didn't love it like I had before and I haven't found the love again. There have been projects I liked, and people, but the profession as a whole, not so much. Surely you've heard me complain more than once about it. I have not tried as hard as I could have either, maybe because I harbor some resentment from that professor's words. Does that make me lazy? Probably. I feel that myself often. Frequently in fact. That's probably not the "bright spot" you were looking for either huh?

This is me, ready for a nap.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

ha...I just had someone very close to me tell me that if I really wanted my masters degree, that I would have it by now...I wanted to punch them in the face...

Glad your weekend went well!!! And isn't that visitor thing kinda cool?

From Whence You Cometh