Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Big Sigh

All I have to say is Hallelujah brother! For many reasons.
Firstly, no more Adam and Julianne. For a moment there I was afraid she was going to make him into a dancer and then I would have to watch even more of them being weird together, and see her win the contest for her partner yet again. But that crisis was averted last night and I am SO glad about it. He was just not a dancer. Really not at all. Funny yes, as I have admitted many times, but not a dancer. What was with Julianne getting all teary eyed? Maybe it was the realization that the disco ball trophy was not to be hers this time around.
Next-ly, what a day yesterday was. $30 for parking if you can believe it! What is the world coming to? And that's not even the worst of it. It's true we live in The Jungle, but we do not live IN The Jungle if you know what I mean. Spent most of the day yesterday at the criminal court house with one of the young men Tarzan teaches, K4, as we waited to see if his mom's boyfriend, who threatened her and stabbed K4 in the hand with a knife, was going to take the District Attorney's plea or make them go to trial. Thankfully the defense lawyer was a smart man and knew it was unlikely he would get a better deal from a jury than he was being offered but holy smokes. What a nasty situation to be in. For so many reasons. Makes quite a case for nature vs. nurture here because the mother has many, many, many issues. Many. But this kid is a good kid. Works hard, tries to do well in school, has plans for the future, isn't into gang banging or drugs or booze, or cigarettes, goes to church, is friendly and happy. It's frankly a little miracle he is too, considering everything he has to deal with. His story to tell, not mine but wow. He's had it tough. And things like yesterday make me aware of just how removed I am from the real beat of The Jungle.
And my last hallelujah is for what a day TODAY was. Not so emotional but a lot of running around and errands and what have you. The cat had to be spayed today - poor baby nothing, didn't seem to phase her at all, cried the whole way there and back but has been jumping all over the place since she got home - Tarzan needed food for his lunch time meeting, I had a doctor's appointment and a visit to the lab, we needed milk, which could not be done at the same time as Tarzan's food for spoilage reasons and I had to call ALL the kids from church to remind them about the activity on Saturday. I know, how sad have I become that that is what I whine about? But it was a lot of miles to put on my poor, little, 4-cylinder car. Order of operations meant I drove back and forth across town a total of four times today. That's a lot of what-rush-hour-is-this-and-which-of-twenty-freeways-versus-combination-of-surface-streets-do-I-take-to-make-it-there-in-the-fewest-number-of-minutes-spent-driving calculations. Because it's different. Every. Single. Time.

This is me, all tuckered out.

1 comment:

Rocketgirl said...

I am often soo amazed at how soft I am when I realize that for a flight I have to wake up at 6am... when I used to have to wake up at 5am and then actually do stuff more inticate than watch Sesame Street. Hey, at least we admit we're dang lucky:)

From Whence You Cometh