Friday, January 25, 2008

In Which I Whine Some More

Two weeks. A mere fourteen days. And then I'm free. Free of this stressful, self-centered, antagonistic profession and free from this cluttered, snide and oddly structured office. There are days I think it can't come soon enough and other days when I will actually miss this place. Maybe. Well, not really. In the interest of full disclosure, it's actually guilt that I feel. Not for the office - they'll be fine - but guilt that I'm not already pregnant so we have a "legit" reason why I'm quitting. People keep asking me why I'm leaving now and what I'm going to do "until you have kids?" We covered some of what I'm going to do, but that's not enough I suppose. So I feel guilty. Guilty for not working when we don't have kids yet, guilty that Tarzan is going to kill himself working because he's afraid we won't have enough money. Guilty for not shouldering my share or something. This is despite Tarzan's repeated reassurances that we would have done it sooner had things been different, that this is the time for us to get our house in order, literally and figuratively, that I will be doing lots at home. With such an understanding, supportive husband you would think I could get my mind around the situation wouldn't you? Yeah, me too. Except when friends or relatives accost me and ask why, why, WHY are you quitting? Why not make some more money first, why not wait until "it" happens, is there something you'd like to tell us Jane - when they know darn well there isn't - what am I supposed to tell them? The lines I'm using sure aren't working.

This is me, kinda bitter today and not sure why.

5 comments:

Rocketgirl said...

I am SO glad you are quitting - as great as your skills are, it is time to think of YOU and TARZAN for a while now! You are doing good things, and I'm so excited for you guys. You're going to have a wonderful time together and you deserve every blessed second of it! Heck, I worked for a YEAR before I called it quits, you're my hero!!

Q said...

I'd like to say something about the money issues R is having. Trust me, been there done that. You will never have "enough" money. Just enjoy the money you have, and if its not enough for the dreams you have, adjust your dreams and be satisfied.

Trust me, you'll be happier in the long run. Feel free to fly out and spoil TQ anytime, I'll pay for the plane ticket. Lord knows I have more money than should ever be entrusted to a single 30 year old.

Pauly said...

I hate silly comments from clueless and silly people. Why not take some time off to live *your* life? I think it's a great idea--and I'm totally jealous!

Elizabeth said...

(in response to your comment on my blog...)Are you serious!?! Like, seriously, we should be best friends! I do that with letters and shapes and everything! :)

I am SO jealous that you are quiting! I was wondering what the countdown(s) was for. I unfortunately don't have a hubby who can take care of me, and I refuse to live with my parents for many reasons (however much I love them), AND I have to get a new car so I have to work. Have fun getting the house in order! I want to do that SO bad. It's...okay. But not as organized as I would like it to be.

Anonymous said...

Tarzan here,
Please note that the comments expressed by the commentator do not necessarily relfect the views of the Tarzan family. Tarzan is not killing himself working. I sit on my butt most of the day reading comic books for crying out loud! Tarzan just enjoys working on principle.

From Whence You Cometh