Tuesday, January 22, 2008

And The Winner Is...

Do you watch the Academy Awards? We do, usually. Not in a fascinated, hang-on-every-word kind of way but in a "oh, huh, didn't see that movie either - hey! Kirk Douglas is still alive" kind of way. So I was not one of those who stayed home to wait for the Oscar nominations to be out this morning. Does not mean I don't know who is nominated however. I swear, if she has time to read the Oscar nominations aloud to the ENTIRE office, she has time to file, you know what I mean? Be that as it may, I am pleased to see some of the nominations.
  1. Best Picture: Haven't seen a single one.
  2. Best Actor/Actress, Best Supporting Actor/Actress: Having not seen a single of the pictures any of them were in, I can't say as they aren't all absolutely spectacular performances.
  3. Best Director: Haven't seen a single of the pictures directed by these people, so I'm sure they all did their best.
  4. Best Foreign Film: If I don't see the local films, what makes you think I would have seen the foreign ones?
  5. Best Adapted Screenplay: Haven't seen any of these either.
  6. Best Original Screenplay: Woot! Finally something I can comment on. Go Ratatouille!! I'm gonna go with a no on this one. Because...
  7. Best Animated Feature: It's nominated in this category as well and in my opinion is much more likely to win here because it IS an animated feature and despite all the equality talk, a cartoon is still a cartoon.
  8. Best Art Direction: Back to not having seen any of the nominated films.
  9. Best Cinematography: Ditto here - one would think I don't get out much.
  10. Best Sound Mixing: Not entirely sure what this category is even for, but for the first time we have some drama, having seen The Bourne Ultimatum, AND Transformers this could be a close race. I'm gonna be on the edge of my seat for this one.
  11. Best Sound Editing: Again, not sure what this IS exactly, but both The Bourne Ultimatum AND Ratatouille are nominated again.
  12. Best Original Score: Ratatouille could end up sweeping this Awards night. Wouldn't that be something for the record books?
  13. Best Original Song: Oooooh baby, I'm all about this category this year. First, so cool about August Rush. I wanted to see that one. Hopefully the song is deep and meaningful, not schmoopy and manipulative. We shall see. It is a source of great, great sorrow that I did not get to see Enchanted because it is exactly the type of girly, musical, movie that I love. Second it had Patrick Dempsey and who doesn't love him? It ALSO has Idina Menzel who was the Broadway Elphaba (and is therefore on my much listened to CD) and also was in Rent. The girl has some pipes. THEN, to make it all perfect, the guys who wrote all the songs are none other than Alan Menken - of Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Hercules, Hunchback and Beauty & the Beast fame - and Stephen Schwartz. You don't know him? He's the man who wrote WICKED - my most favorite-ist musical of all time! How could these songs NOT be fabulous? But wait, it gets better! There are at least one, possibly three, songs from the movie to be nominated AND all the nominated songs get performed live at the Awards show. Sweet!!
  14. Best Costume Design: Did not see the pictures, so this will likely be when we go to the kitchen for some dessert.
  15. Best Documentary Feature: Didn't see any of them. Probably very informative.
  16. Best Documentary (short subject): Didn't see any of them either. Probably very informative and short.
  17. Best Film Editing: Go Bourne!
  18. Best Make-Up: Hey! A newbie AND one I saw. Awesome. Go Pirates!
  19. Best Animated Short Film: Did not see any of those either. Les sighs, I need to get out once in a while...
  20. Best Live Action Short Film: What is this? Don't know, didn't see any of them. Is that phrase getting overused here today or what?
  21. Best Visual Effects: We saw both Pirates of the Caribbean AND Transformers so it could be a nail biter too.

Let me know what you think of the nominations this year. Was any flick robbed? Is it an honor just to be nominated?

This is me, with the verdict: no messing with Tarzan's head via the dinner table.

2 comments:

Lola said...

Of the very, very few I saw, I was surprised to see that Casey Affleck got nominated for best _supporting_ actor in "Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford". Um, supporting actor? I thought he was the lead. I'm so confused. I don't get these things. Silly Oscars. We don't have TV, and this isn't the kind of thing I'll bother to go to someone else's house to see, so you'll have to fill me in on any interesting details, like what you eat for dessert that night.

Elizabeth said...

You and I should be best friends or something...I don't go out and see movies much anymore, but I did see Bourne Ultimatum, Transformers, Pirates and Enchanted. LOVE Idina, especially Wicked (seen it twice, once in NY, once in LA...NY was better) but I didn't see August Rush...and I am a cellist. I know, shame on me for not going out and seeing from what I hear is a fabulous movie. Hmm...I wonder if the dollar theaters have it...thanks for you comment by the way. I want to paint the WHOLE house. But just doing two rooms is tiring me out!

From Whence You Cometh