Monday, January 21, 2008

Pie Consumption

Ha HA! I did it, I mades some pie. Do you know rhubarb is a very seasonal thing? Even in The Jungle, where one can get strawberries in December and mangoes all year, one can NOT get rhubarb in January OR likely in February. I visited a large number of grocery stores this weekend and no a one has any or any opportunity to carry any "for a long time." Poor Tarzan, no strawberry-rhubarb for his Sunday dinner. We had to improvise with a mixed berry / apple combo that I have my doubts about. Tarzan, bless his heart, eats whatever I put in front of him - which sounds sweet but has good and bad sides. Consider: we made chili a few weeks ago and there were inevitably leftovers, since I can't get it through my head we are three, not eleven! In the subsequent attempts to consume all the leftovers one night there was enough chili for one. (ATL and I had something else) It all seemed fine until I noticed Tarzan huddled over his bowl, inhaling the spoonful and then quickly washing it down with milk. When I inquired the problem, it came out I had scorched the bottom of the pot when reheating the chili. I felt really bad - apologized and told him to stop eating it - I'd make him something else. BUT HE WOULDN'T STOP! His comment "You made it, and that's good enough for me." Dude. It's not like I did it on purpose. Or started messing with ingredients. I am not a first year wife who would cry if her husband didn't like what she had slaved for hours making. I wouldn't have served it had I tasted it first. But he HAD to finish the bowl and I spent the rest of the night feeling bad for feeding him burned chili. The funny part is this did not really surprise me because we have been married seven years. (That sounds so long but doesn't feel so long...) This is not the first time. There was the pineapple incident. Apparently Tarzan does not like pineapple. Fresh pineapple. I did not know this. He NEVER mentioned it to me - disputes to the contrary honey, you DID NOT! - and I love fresh pineapple. So we (I) would buy and serve pineapple for brunches and whatever and he ATE it, never letting on the stuff was making him gag. One day I noticed violent twitching and not the good kind. The man does not like acidic stuff - apparently. He doesn't drink orange juice either. Unless I put it in front of him - then he will eat it. It's kind of a weird situation. Do I mess with his head and see what funky stuff I can feed him? Or do I be a good wife and try to make everything tasty?

This is me, undecided.

3 comments:

Rocketgirl said...

Oh my gosh, my mama done good!! Tarzan is a chip off the ol' block. I'm sure he's told you about dad's similar abilities. That is freakin' hilarious!! My husband is not so forgiving to bad cooking. Last night I made this cheese bread the bread maker recipie book had, and oh gosh it was awful - I was like pound cake with a little cheddar. And I served it with lasagna! Nope, he didn't eat much. I dind't do bad, that's exactly what the recipie said! Anywho, don't mess with his taste buds. Let ME do it!!!!

Anonymous said...

Tarzan here. That was a very funny post. I didn't realize I made you feel bad and for I'am sorry. You made me food and I'm always grateful for it so I eat it, end of story. Please don't mess with me head though. I think of you as such a good cook.

Rocketgirl said...

Okay, this is making me giggle. Jane feeds Tarzan carbon and HE apologizes?! You are one good, if not smelly hubby:)

From Whence You Cometh