Monday, January 29, 2007

So sad

I have exactly zero (that's 000000) connections with the horse racing world (other than watching National Velvet and Seabiscuit) but I love all animals and when a horse gets hurt running I always hope that they get better. Perhaps because of the rest of the world was caring too I followed the story of Barbaro, the horse that won the Kentucky Derby and then broke his leg in the Preakness. Things seemed to be going well for a long time after the injury and it looked good that the horse would recover. It was a shocker to see the news item today that Barbaro had to be put down. Poor Barbaro.It reminds me of a high school History class discussion in which we talked about some war and the casualties. Some jock-type guy thought it was "stupid" the girls cared more about the number of horses that died than the men. Mr.Stone (one of my favorite teachers ever, precisely for discussions like this one) said something that was very profound: The humans had a choice about whether to participate in the war, the horses did not. Being innocent of the decision to wage war made them more sympathetic figures.
I've always appreciated that discussion and it reminds me of my stewardship to care for this earth, the animals and the plants on it.

This is animal-loving me.

1 comment:

Rocketgirl said...

This was a really sweet post. I love the comment by your history teacher. It hit me big. I personally am not an animal lover because they scare me - yes, all animals. But that's a different viewpoint and I dig it. I still like eating animals though. (and yes, Wicked was the first thing that hit me when the news came down... can we still go see it???)

From Whence You Cometh