Saturday, April 04, 2009

Right Kind Of Stand

Previous to this month's insanity, I had been able to catch up on most of my recorded television shows which is about to prove fortuitous for you my friends in the Internet.
Privileged is one of those TV shows that bugs me, and yet I still watch it because I hope each and every week that the main characters will figure out that they are causing their own problems and will then grow up and live happily ever after – I am a big fan of happily ever after. Not that HEA means one's life is a done deal; those looking for HEA still have to work at their relationships, but at least you know they are going to try when the credits roll. That’s all I ask.
My original point was that while Megan Smith – main character of the show Privileged – bugs the crap out of me because she just won’t grow up and what are the writers thinking giving a person lines and attitudes like that – I was impressed with the way they handled the situation between Sage – Megan’s charge and super rich teenager – and Luis, her boyfriend. When the subject of gay marriage came up I rolled my eyes, really afraid this would become a soap box for the writers to preach to us all about how someone somewhere is being intolerant AGAIN and where are we going and why are we in a hand basket? But they didn’t and it wasn’t. The crazy kids broke up because they didn’t agree on a really big issue, and that made total sense to me, BUT - and this is big - they allowed each other to go their own way, with their own opinion; no one was called names, no one belittled anyone, no one was a bad person, they just weren’t right for each other. And I really, really appreciated that.
So much of the media and influence being pushed at us – and teenagers in particular – these days says there is only one opinion and if you don’t agree with ‘mine’ you’re a bigot, a racist, a sexist, a prejudiced, a chauvinist, an intolerant, a hypocrite, a fanatic, a ugly, horrible person. And that’s just isn’t so.

Tolerance is, according to the Encarta English Dictionary, precisely that; recognizing other people’s rights to have different beliefs or practices without attempting to suppress them.
It's a lesson we should all adopt. We don't have to associate with people we don't agree with, but they are allowed to believe what they want. One day it will all settle out. Or it won't matter.

This is me, pleasantly surprised at the depth of a teen drama. Once.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your observation is astute.

From Whence You Cometh