Tuesday, April 21, 2009

All In One

Last night you may have seen the show making my "review' is a little out of date but I can't really write about tonight's show last night now could I? And I have made up my mind that two days is too many to devote to this one subject. So, it's the all in one post. Last night's dancing and this night's results and musical guests. What say you? No objections? Excellent.
  • Can I just say, that was the simplest, sweetest outfit Samantha has ever worn on this show. And her hair was cute too. Who designed HER clothes? Because, as you may or may not know, tonight the celebrities created the outfits for their partners and in some cases it was awesome, and some not so much.
  • Well, Melissa and Tony's Argentine Tango was sharp and precise, and I think she found her aggressive side. What is up with the lift rule though? If they can have them in one dance why not others? It's not like they are following any of the other ballroom rules so what's with the quasi-lift debate going on?
  • Lawrence should maybe consider a second career in clothing design - the dress Edyta wore for their waltz was gorgeous. The waltz itself was not bad - not great - but not bad. They missed some connections in the middle but he did have an adequate rise and fall, which is hard to master.
  • I was so scared of L'il Kim's rumba. The potential for slutty was so high I almost didn't watch it. But. But, it wasn't as bad as I envisioned. The content was low for me, they seemed to spend a lot of time posing and as I have said, I just don't understand what a "good" rumba looks like.
  • I think red is Chuck's color. Either that or he's at home designing little dresses with fringe. His and Julianne's samba was really good. Really, really good. He actually moved his hips, danced the steps, and embodied the character of the dance. It was really good. But, did anyone else notice that in the dip, Chuck's hand was all over Julianne's boob? Most of the guys hold their hand in a fist or flat out to prevent that occurrence, but not Chuck. so funny.
  • Ty's waltz was sweet. The man is just what his wife (Jewel) said he was. A real man. He tries so hard, and his posture is awesome, his rise and fall is excellent. He doesn't extend his arms as much as he could, but he's a classic dancer, a smooth dancer. And I love him.
  • Shawn's cha-cha was much better than it sounded like it would be from the rehearsal footage. It was older than she usually dresses and dances which was interesting. Don't know about Mitzi Gaynor, but whatever Bruno. But it was fast and on beat and had content, so good. It's really funny how Mark loves to play the nerd. Did anyone else notice how both he and Derek are having some acne issues this week?
  • Gilles and Cheryl's (not) Viennese Waltz was very lovely. I didn't like Cheryl's dress all that much, the two tiered effect didn't work for me. But, one cannot fault her teaching methods since they work so well.
  • The group dance was, as always, amusing. A little bit silly, a little bit weird, and a little bit good. I suppose they do these things to break up the strict dancing requirements and just have fun. It was purely for the entertainment value.

The results show had Celtic Woman as the musical guest! (Maybe because they're performing in town Saturday? (We have tickets!)) I sort of wish they'd sung something more Irish than "You Raise Me Up" but it was still good. And I REALLY hope they had just a paired down version of the group too, because where were Orla and Meav? Natasha Bendingfield was also a guest - who I am a little shamed to say I hadn't heard of. I'm a little weirded out by how close Lacey dances with her brother - Julianne and Derek are not gross when they dance together - and I don't mean physical distance. The competition between professionals is an interesting idea and I guess we will see if the audience has any idea what makes a good dancer. Otherwise, Lawrence and Edyta went home and while that was no big surprise it is another bummer for Edyta because this is her eighth season and she has not come close to winning. It's a dirty shame.

This is me, all judgemental.

No comments:

From Whence You Cometh