Friday, February 27, 2009

I Knew Football Was My Favorite Sport

I will say this - he was a diplomatic guest. Unassuming for a man in his position, with his history, especially considering the environment. I mean, speaking to a group of a previous arch rival, he said nice things about both sides, was funny AND held down the rioting. I like him even better now than I did when he worked for us.
I refer to Norman Chow, the once offensive coordinator for the football team of my - and Tarzan's - alma mater. Then he chose to leave us for a professional team in The Deep South and I was sad but whatever, change of pace, new life, WAY more money, blah, blah, blah. THEN - and this was a big then - he returned to the world of college football...wait for it - for our biggest rivals. Bonus being that we share the town with our biggest rivals AND that's the school ATL is attending. Ah, the irony.
Amusing story, Norm - we call him Norm - was the guest speaker at a dinner/lecture thing this evening at ATL's school, so Tarzan and I, all decked out in our best red and gold gear, trooped across town so we could listen and maybe heckle just the teeniest bit.
Turns out Norm is a classy guy. We weren't hard to miss, matching jackets and all, but he stopped by our table, said hello, commented on the jackets and shook our hands. During the Q&A Tarzan, thinking he would be funny - I thought he'd provide them reason to stone us - asked how it felt to be working for the rivals of a team he spent so much time working with and building (that would be our team). I felt that Norm handled it well - whether it was true or not - when he said it was more about the relationships between the people and less about what team it was. Football is just a game (there were a few gasps from the crowd) and it's the interactions that are most important. That was well put, and I don't believe he was being sarcastic nor pandering to the audience. I think he meant it.

This is me, getting some football in the off season.
(Not that anyone was counting but Norm DID mention a lot of people from USC and not so many from his current employer.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well he probably hasn't met everyone at the other school yet...but Norm is very much a classy guy.

Tarzan, might want to work on a little self control though. One does not wander into the land of Modor and walk up to Mount Doom.

From Whence You Cometh