Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Better Late Than Never I Always Say

So, I was telling you that I am the most stubborn in this relationship? Here's a good example I realized while making banana bread this morning.
When I was a kid, helping my mother bake, I never understood the need for the spatula. Some of you may call them scrapers:
In fact, I was highly against them. One more piece to wash - I hate washing dishes more than any other chore - when the knife, spoon or finger that has already been employed would do just as well. So irritated by the idea of them was I that we didn't register for any when we got married. Some well intentioned - and far more intelligent - person surely thought it was an oversight and gave them to us anyway. For years I wouldn't use them. They just laid in the drawer, taking up space. The sight of them made me curl my lip and sneer. Seriously.
It's only been recently that I have begun to incorporate their usage into my baking. (It was a necessity thing - I was out of other applicable utensils I think.) WHAT COULD I HAVE BEEN THINKING waiting so long? They are quite ingenious in design; flexible, with a wide cross section that allows for easy scraping out of bowls, particularly brownies and other soft doughs. Takes so much less time than the scrape-pat-scrape-pat that is necessary with a knife and spoons are actually quite cumbersome, designed as they are to trap edibles in the bowl and not let go.
I totally use spatulas all the time now. I reach for one more often than any other item in the drawer now.

This is me, taking only eight years to change my mind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you would die in the Food Science class I'm in. The quote, "What do you mean I have to scrape it all off to put into my project????"

Anonymous said...

Okay I just sent this to the food science teacher.

From Whence You Cometh