Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Not The Meme You Were Expecting

Oh Keah, dear Keah; I am a loser. I am, I am, I am. And I will grovel appropriately tomorrow when I post the meme. It's done, but last night was the season opener of Dancing With The Stars and there has been a request for my opinion. And with the second half of the show airing tonight I should blog now or I will never get caught up.
First, Julianne and Cody. I think we've covered my view on Julianne enough to not reiterate the whole thing again. Cody seems funny though, so I may not hate them totally. Ew, on Julianne's dress. The cha-cha (why do they insist on calling it the cha-cha-cha - that is not the correct name of the dance.) was not bad. A lot of poses, not a lot of content. And "the flash of youth" (Bruno's metaphor, not mine) messed up in the middle there.
Can we let it go with the "combined ages" business? Jeepers, let's just rub it in everyone's face?
I think I can love Rocco and Karina is growing on me. Her dress also was ugly though. LOVED their song! Big Bad VooDoo Daddy all day, any day. I agree with Carrie-Ann, their foxtrot WAS cute. (What is up with her hair? Not liking that.) A little wild, but that could be nerves too.
I already love Alec and Toni didn't cop an attitude in her opening interview. I liked their cha-cha. My gut says it was good. She missed a few flourishes, but that is definitely nerves. Her feet weren't bad. I think they messed up one part but it wasn't obvious.
I didn't know Maurice Green was the guy who set his shoes on fire and Cheryl is, hands down, my favorite professional. And her hair is short again. Yay! They will have fun together. The foxtrot was good. Energetic for sure. My gut says, "head up and shoulders down, dude." But he can work on that. At least he's got rhythm.
Brooke seems to be a model with some potential. The last two on this show got sent home the first week. Total rip-off, but I'm not going back there. Derek seems to be maturing and I like that. He also seems to be a good teacher. I thought it was a good cha-cha. Nice combination of moves. She might need some more restraint in the upper, um, chest area...she's humble though. So sweet.
I'm with Tom, save some of the high numbers for next week.
Ted is going to be funny. He didn't really know what to do when they weren't in a hold, but when they were he was very graceful. I think he missed a step somewhere at the beginning, but a really nice ending. Inna hasn't been on the show before so I don't know if she knows the deal with showcasing a partner's talents or judging the audience. She seems nice enough.
Okay. Not entirely sure who is the professional and who the newbie in the Lance/Lacey combo. He seems really poised and she seems a little excited. She's got the moves, yet he has the stage presence. Not sure I am down with the "edge." Maybe it's just the costumes? Len didn't like it, as I figured, and I think it will lean more that direction when they get into the smooth dances. Two 8s? Really?
OMG, Cloris and Corky are so hilarious! Mostly Cloris. I hope she stays just for the amusement factor. I thought Carrie-Ann was going to hyperventilate. I'm gonna say no, though. Heel leads, heel leads, heel leads. I think she lost her balance once? And I see where Mark learned to sing along with the music. Not bad, she IS 82!
Oy. Jeffrey is another one who will be funny. He's got to speed it up though. It was a little slow. A lot slow. Cute. Funny. But not a lot of content and again, WHAT was Edyta wearing?
What is up with the Mickey Mouse gloves on Mark? Kim certainly doesn't lack for confidence, but her balance could be a problem. Their foxtrot was smooth. She seemed stiff maybe. Maybe it was that her head didn't move at all. The music was cute, and Mark is a really good choreographer.
Susan needs to unbend her arms, and speed it up. Tony is marvelous, always. She seemed stiff and nervous. I get that, it's really hard and she's not a spring chicken, but if she relaxes it will be better.
(Do you like how as the night goes on the reviews get shorter?)
Yay Maksim! So excited to have him back. He's so cute and so funny. Misty needs to work on her arms. Elbows, shoulders, wrists. Again with the sports chicks who have bad posture. Such different muscles. She certainly looks better on stage than in rehearsals, and I think they edit it that way on purpose.
Warren can move! He's got great feet, but he's a big man. He's going to have to work on the hips. But he also seems like a nice guy. Kym should not wear that outfit. It makes her look all top and no bottom. Which I suppose is not a bad thing if you're a guy, but it's very disproportional.
Whew, that was a long show. I almost forgot some of the first dancers.

This is me, settling in for the season.

No comments:

From Whence You Cometh