Saturday, September 06, 2008

Momma Mia

Pierce Brosnan should not sing. Do not misunderstand me - I completely adore the man - he looks so yummy:
(And the man is 55 remember. Ah, why couldn't I have been born in Ireland in 1955?) But. He should not sing. It's tough to judge him harshly in anyway but there it is.
We went to see Momma Mia yesterday. Love the music, loved the stage show, loved the movie. But not in the same ways at all. The movie was really fun. Fun to watch - it's rare that I feel the desire to laugh out loud in a movie theater but this time I had to restrain myself more than once. But not in a bad way. I think it was a case of watching a show in the spirit in which it was intended. Yes, Aphrodite's fountain was a little cheesy, but it fit. And who doesn't like to see Colin Firth's bare chest all wet? The outfits were undoubtedly the best part. What I didn't understand was why there were so many big names chosen who couldn't sing per se while some unknowns were specifically chosen because they could sing.
Meryl Streep did a great job. I was surprised at her singing ability. The only song I winced during was "The Winner Takes It All."
Amanda Seyfried is not really unknown but she's not a superstar. And she was really good. I liked her portrayal of Sophie. Nice balance between innocence and confident.
I think Dominic Cooper did well as the fiance - didn't try to overplay it, or hog the screen. It's a smaller part, but he was really cute and funny when appropriate. I really liked the choreography for "Lay All Your Love On Me."
Julie Walters and Christine Baranski were hilarious as Meryl's sidekicks.
Really, the most questionable choices were the three fathers. Pierce, as I've mentioned, shouldn't sing. He was marvelous in every other respect. So hot. But his character had a lot of songs and each one seemed a little more forced. I really wanted to like him. I tried. But...just not enough.
Colin Firth only had the one solo number, but he did okay, I guess. I did not appreciate where they took his character though, a total diversion from the stage show.
Now, Stellan Skarsgard must be a big name in Sweden, and he's done things here, but he didn't even sing at all, and I don't know if that was written in for his character or what but it seemed a little unusual.
Even with all that though, it was a fun show and I think I might buy the DVD. If only for the closing credits. That is an image I will keep until the day I die.
This is me, gimme gimme gimme a man, who can sing.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

BOY do I agree with you about Pierce Brosnan singing...blech. Loved the movie, the music, etc, but yeah he bothered me.

From Whence You Cometh