Tuesday, July 29, 2008

They Like Me

It's minor, really. Trivial even. But novel and kinda fun now that I know how it works. I received a call a few weeks ago asking if I would like to be on a paid survey and I said sure but thought in my head;
"Yeah, if I buy something they'll 'pay' me for this survey."
Tarzan always worries that I will sign us up for some scam - do I look that gullible? Don't. Answer that - but this guy seemed legit. He volunteered a call back number - which I called - and they didn't want any information that they didn't already have. So I tentatively said yes. I was to go to an office building near the airport and be on a panel of women to talk about local issues. I was a little trepidatious because while I have an opinion on most local issues I don't articulate well on the spot. This is yet another reason why the blog is a good medium for me - I can change my wording if it sounds too dumb the first time around. But I went. Last night. And it wasn't too bad. Everyone on the panel was really nice and even though we didn't all agree, no one got in anyone else's face, each was allowed her opinion about the topic - water conservation and recycling - and after my first direct question where I was all "uh....I don't know?" I actually had some things to say. I'm sure one or two of the ladies thought I was a dumb white girl - I sure did at first - but no one said it or even looked it. And the girl across the table yielded to my explanation once or twice. She is a member of the Sierra Club and really knowledgeable about conservation efforts in the county. It was pretty cool. My guess is the company - an independent research firm - was polling to see if a certain measure would pass, or how it would best be proposed to the public in the future.
And the best part: they paid me $100 dollars to do it! I don't know how I got on their list but I hope they call me again.

This is me, offering my opinion for free - feel lucky peeps!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is quite amazing what companies pay for your information. Not the information that is like "here have a credit line" information, but what opinions you've been burning deep inside the recesses of your mind. I'm actually hooked up with a retailer. They don't pay amazingly well, but the value comes out every now and then. Sometimes blogging even pays off (though not very often) there are whole groups of people who peruse major blogs looking for disgruntled customers and how to make their lives happier.

Rocketgirl said...

DUmb white girl?? You should never think that - heck I actually AM a dumb white girl, but I don't think it because I have a piece of paper saying I am a MASTER. And your piece of paper says you are a flippin' architect. That's actually useful!! And I'm totally green - that's so cool to get paid for talking - I do it all the time and I never get paid!!!

Q said...

I've done that before for beer company ads here in Denver. Its legit.

From Whence You Cometh