Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Semi-Finals

I know, I know, I'm falling down on the reporting job. Last night was indeed the semi-finals for Dancing With The Stars and I did watch it, just not last night. I had dinner with a dear friend and it was good. I don't get to hang out with him nearly enough. So, my comments, slightly later than in recent months but still as cynical as ever regarding the ballroom competition:
Jason's little pep talk from Edyta was hilarious. His foxtrot was pretty and I almost thought Edyta was wearing clothes this week. Then she stepped and the slit to her waist appeared. Ah well. It was soft and pretty though, and I liked it.
Marissa's quickstep was good. I think I'm hung up on her being so much shorter than Tony because they always look a little awkward to me. And the comment about the lack of body comment may be an indication of that height difference.
I really want to love Christian and he does try hard. Some of his dances are awesome and some not so much? The waltz was not bad, good rotations. It is unfortunate that his free arm can't accentuate because of the brace. I think it would add greatly to his floor presence. 'Satellite,' that's why Cheryl's dress was silver lame...
Kristi's tango was VERY dramatic - I would have been scared to death to dance for the professional dance class. Far more than for 20 million viewers. I can see how Len would have thought it "hectic" but it really wasn't because they were controlled, fast movements the foot flicks and kicks. I don't like how they mix dance styles on this show anyway - Viennese waltz when it's not, basic tango when it's a little bit Argentine - whatever.
I love when Len goes to visit the couples to show some steps or for refinement. He's the only one who's an actual dancer - ballroom dancer - on the panel of judges. The other two are choreographers. They showed so much more of his actual dancing with the stars this time around. The bit with him and Jason is funny. He's a funny guy when he gets going, Len is. The whole "Bond, James Bond," take on it is cute. Kym could totally be a Bond girl too.
I know I rail on Edyta's clothes a lot but who dresses that woman? I think Jason did a much better job with this paso doble than his last one - though the Super Bowl theme was pretty cool - but that was totally a lift. Edyta always does that move and her feet always come off the floor. (But they didn't mark it! What is that all about?) Oy. Jason has a lot of fans in the audience.
It's sort of ironic how the "random" dances worked out. Christian gets the samba which is how he got hurt last time and Marissa gets the rumba which is one of the hardest dances (both her dances have been the 'hard' ones) - being so slow - but I think she's rocking it. The cucarachas are a great move to add. Nice bit with the fishnets and Tony's pants.
And riiiight...there! is where Christian let go of his nerves about remembering the choreography and began to enjoy the dance. Carrie-Ann was quite right about that characteristic of his. A little slow in parts I thought, not enough hip action when they were apart. But the judges see stuff I don't, I guess. And it was the demon to beat.
Kristi did a fantastic job with the jive the first time - but I'm not loving this one. The music is a different tone sure, but her knees don't seem as high and there was a lot of posing and pausing. It didn't seem as jiving as the one before.

This is me, what do I know?

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Nope, my Daddy is an engineer. English isn't his strong point, nor mine...we both have dyslexia. Thank goodness for spell checker and grammar checkers!

From Whence You Cometh