Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Finale

Fortunately the DVR is not busted and was only having a temper tantrum last night when we couldn't get it to work. It did mean we didn’t see Dancing With The Stars but, fortunately, again, ABC re-broadcast last night's show so we didn't miss a thing. Yay ABC.
The cha-cha face off was cute. I liked having all the couples on the floor at the same time. Latin is not Jason’s strong suit though and it was obvious when he missed the steps. Too bad.
Oy. Just when I thought we had seen the last of Julianne. She showed up again. Bleah. Of course she and Mark have been professional partners in the past so it makes sense...
Kristi and Mar’s freestyle was interesting, I was really hoping for some dance moves - ballroom dance moves that is…too much hip hop for me. Hmmm, but apparently the judges do not agree. I really, REALLY wish we could have some sort of score card so we knew what they were looking at.
What was with the giant beach ball in Jason’s freestyle? They sure are forgiving of the hip hop this season, Laila got lambasted when she threw some funky moves into her freestyle dance, as did Mel – I know it’s the freestyle but still.
And I just have to say, again, that Tom is the best host EVER. Seriously. I wonder if he writes his own stuff or if he can just deliver well?
Okay, right there, that is why Cheryl is the best teacher, professional dancer to have. That freestyle dance was awesome. She choreographed a routine using actual moves from the ballroom world. That is what I think of when I think of the freestyle. The judges stink. They are certainly all over it and not in a good way, but I liked it. It was fun, it was sharp, it was ballroom. It was great. A small part of me wants Christian to win. A small part of me wants each of them to win, though as they keep telling me, that can’t happen. So we shall see - in the next paragraph as a matter of fact.
It certainly seems that the judges are gunning for Kristi to win. Carrie-Ann and her "woman power" business. They tried last season to get a woman to win, with Mel B, but someone underestimated the banana. This time they are pushing even harder for the female to come away with the trophy. Kristi deserves it, no question, but she should win it because she can dance, not because she’s a girl.
*******************************************************************************************
I guess Usher (musical guest for the night) is a big name in some circles but I’m not feeling it.
Despite it being two hours long, there’s really not a lot to this final show, other than the recapping of everything. It’s funny how, by the end, I forget who was on the show to begin with. It was a shame that Penn went home so early. He wasn’t bad just inexperienced. But whatever. It’s in the past, all in the past. Oh. My. Gosh. That was such a funny speech from Adam Corolla. “This is why the terrorists hate us…” The best part was he was serious! Hee hee. Since when do the returning celebrities do an entire dance? I seasons past they have done a 10-15 seconds of their dance and then we've moved on. There was a reason most of them went home when they did.
Hahahaha! Having the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders present the junior trophy was hilarious. And I am so glad that Brandon and Brittney won the Junior Championship. After their paso doble last week…it matters not how funny and cute the littler kids were. These two were fantastic.
Aw, that's a little sad, well it would have been sad no matter what, that Christian came in third. This really is a hard finale. There is not a clear favorite for me this time. Which is weird. I wonder if it’s possible to tie?
Aaaand there we have it – Kristi Yamaguchi is the season six winner!
Both good and a little sad. She probably IS the better dancer but I feel a little bad for Edyta. So close. So close to winning finally after six seasons and to almost have it must hurt a tiny bit. (And just because it’s a reoccurring theme: WHO dresses that woman?)

This is me, with a season that went my way.

3 comments:

Rocketgirl said...

Thanks for giving me the skinny all season so I didn't have to watch it! The commentary was most helpful - and from the tiny bits I saw, the best part of the show is how on the toes the host is. Wooot!

Elizabeth said...

My coworker babysat Usher...for reals. She is friends with all sorts of hip hop artists too. Crazy.

Anyways, it's been fun reading your posts on dancing!

Anonymous said...

Overall, I thought Kristi was interesting. The one thing I missed on Tuesday night and I have to admit: I don't mind that I missed it. I missed the selection of the 'top kids'. I wouldn't have minded if we the public voted for the kids when they were pitted against each other. It seems more fair that way that we look at them in the same grouping. It's not fair to look at 13/14 year olds and then compare them to 7/8 year olds. The kids just don't have the same sort of abilities, no matter what they do/learn/stunt they pull. Okay, I'm done with my bitterness.

Overall show was good. Hopefully it'll be even more interesting next season.

From Whence You Cometh