Saturday, July 25, 2009

Tarzan's Second Post

It is the nature of the teaching biz that I am continually certifying and taking exams to maintain my professional status. As time goes on, the state of California keeps adding on new requirements for teachers. Its a constant headache and if you don't keep current, you can't work as an educator. When I started teaching, I had to pass the CBEST, MSAT and RICA exams in order to qualify for my teaching credential. I didn't have to take the CTEL, which measures your ability to teach students with limited English skills. As a librarian I'm always partnered with another teacher and since they were required to have the CTEL, librarians weren't required to take that exam. Well last year Sacramento decided to change the rules and require librarians to take the CTEl also. This caused much concern amongst my colleagues seeing as the CTEL is a three part exam that takes 8 hours and concerns teaching skills and contexts librarians don't usually use. I spent all my Saturdays in May taking classes to prepare for CTEL 1 &2. I had to miss the class covering CTEL 3 because it conflicted with my brother's wedding in April and there was no question of my not attending that blessed event.
I took the test on June 13 and the unofficial results were posted online last night. I hadn't been able to take the class for CTEL 3 and a lot of the material on CTEL 1 & 2 was material I hadn't worked with since I taught kindergarten. If I didn't pass the tests, I could either take about $3,000 worth of college courses or try to pass the tests again in December. Failing that I'd be fired for non compliance with the Ed code. Sigh...
So I was thrilled to see last night that I passed all three exams. I was worried, but apparently Jane seems disgusted that I would consider doubting myself. I'm grateful for her confidence but it wasn't a sure thing. So now I can stop worrying about losing my job because of the CTEL and just hope LAUSD doesn't decide to eliminate school libraries as a cost cutting measure.

3 comments:

Phat Fiddle said...

You da Man! Way to ace those mandated proficiency exams.

Rocketgirl said...

Congratulations! That a royal pain in the patootie. So sorry about all that... are they getting to the point where they're just trying to find reasons to get rid of people?

RHM said...

Well, congratulations Tarzan. You should listen to Jane...she's usually right. Just to give you a little crowbar in for keeping libraries (not that you have any ability sway the public at LAUSD) my librarian at my campus has in her signature "Librarians are the floaties in the sea of information."

From Whence You Cometh