Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Any Day Now

I would like to say I am learning a lot and having a rewarding experience caring for Tarzan's grandfather. And I suppose I have learned things. There are a few family secrets that have surfaced; one that is not a secret to anyone though GOM is convinced none of his kids know it. I tried to tell him that I thought the great-grand kids knew, it is so not a secret but he refused to consider that.
Yet as we near the middle of our third week I can safely say it's not really a rewarding experience. Not in the way one usually thinks of rewards. It's definitely necessary and very important that we were able to do this, and we're happy to do it. But not for GOM's sake. Think the grumpiest, most ornery, cantankerous old person from any movie.
I'll trade you.
No, this mission is for Gamma and her siblings. We're here so she be with MusicMan while he does very important family history work on the other side of the world. We're taking these four weeks so that one of Tarzan's uncles can have a month off. He's been living here since January, almost non-stop, and for that my hat goes so far off it gets burned up in the earth's atmosphere. And after her trip, Tarzan's mother will be coming back here; not back to her house, not to relax, not to get ready for school - she's a teacher - but here, to stay with her father as much as she can before she has to go back to work. (And I think she'd back me up on the grumpy qualification.)
Now, I love my mother-in-law, I really do. It's always fun to go to Gamma's house. She's a very well intentioned hostess, she plans tons of things to see and do, she's super animated and always really excited to see us and of course there is the hot tub in the backyard. But I don't think I have ever been so glad to see her as I will be a week from the day after tomorrow. Do not be surprised if my shriek of happiness is heard 'round the world...Happiness and thankfulness. And a little awe. Of all the things I expected to happen, I could not have anticipated the levels to which my respect, appreciation, understanding and admiration of her would rise to after this stint down here at GOM's house. Thanks Gamma, for being so strong.

This is me, day fourteen of twenty-one.

1 comment:

Keah and Michael O'Hearon said...

You Rock! I don't think I could ever do that!

From Whence You Cometh